The Mysterious Hero: Chapter 19

My feet were glued to the sidewalk as I stared at the home in front of me. The front yard was filled with luscious green grass, a cute little bird bath planted in the middle, enclosed by a white picket fence.

            It was pretty charming.

            Yesterday after Luke and I had finished our ice cream, Luke said that he was too tired to study. I was annoyed that he didn’t feel up to the tutoring, but I was okay with it because he had been surprisingly nice enough to buy me ice cream. And plus, I was kind of vexed that he thought I was merely a dork. So we had decided to put tutoring off until tomorrow afterschool.    

            And now here I was, in front of Luke’s house, for the next session of tutoring.    

            Glancing up at the house, that was painted a classic beige color, I hesitated. I wasn’t exactly sure if this was Luke’s house and I didn’t want to end up ringing the doorbell, only to find out that it wasn’t his home. That would be awkward.  

            Luke was too lazy to meet me at the city library at our usual tutoring time and he had texted me his home address. For the record, he was the one that insisted on me giving him my number.  

            The black numbers on the house were the same numbers that Luke had texted me, and I was confident that I was on the right street. But I was still hesitant. I had never been to Luke’s house before.

            Biting my lip, I moved forward on the path of silver stepping stones. I then found myself facing the front door, my hand twitching to ring the doorbell. The doorbell buzzed as my finger pushed on it, letting go two seconds later.  

            I shifted from foot to foot, awkwardly waiting for someone to open the door. After hearing no movement from the inside, I turned to leave but stopped when the door cracked open. I brought my gaze from the floor up to a woman with much resemblance to Luke.

            “Um h-hi,” I stuttered awkwardly. “I’m Lila, Luke’s tutor.”  

            The woman in front of me beamed, her face brightening up at my greeting. “Hello, Lila!” she chirped. “It’s very nice to meet Luke’s tutor. Come on in.” She opened the door wider, stepping to the side. Nodding my head, I crossed the threshold, waiting for her to say something else. “I’m Luke’s mom, if you couldn’t tell.” She smiled again, running a hand through her golden locks.  

            “It’s nice to meet you too,” I replied politely, giving her a nervous smile. “Um, so where’s Luke? I’m here to tutor him.”   

            Luke’s mom nodded her head. “He’s probably in his room doing senseless stuff,” she said, moving over to the staircase. “It’s nice that you’re tutoring him. He really needs to boost his grades, and you seem like a very nice girl.”

            A small laugh left my mouth, even though there was nothing funny. “Um, thank you.” I stood by the staircase, observing Luke’s home. The walls were painted a dull yellow but it was still appealing. From where I was standing, I could see the living room and kitchen. There was a large flat screen TV in the living room, along with a black leather couch. The kitchen was high-maintenance, containing several chrome kitchen appliances.  

            She yelled Luke’s name, demanding that he get his butt down here. A few seconds later, Luke came trotting down the stairs. When he got to the last step, he groaned. “What, Mom? I’m busy.”  

           His mom raised a brow, putting her hands on her hips. "You're busy doing what? Yeah, procrastinating. You, mister, need to study." Luke rolled his eyes, but when his mom glared at him, he gulped. "Your tutor, Lila, is here."