The Mysterious Hero: Chapter 6

The air reeked of crusty feet, the odor wavering to my nostrils, torturing my strong sense of smell. Sweaty bodies pressed up against mine, invading my personal space, making me feel claustrophobic. My stomach churned in disgust at the sight of an old man eating spaghetti with his fingers –God knows where his hands have been.

            I glared at my three best friends who were sitting down on the bus seats, while I stood up, clutching the silver, metal pole. Eric grinned at me, sensing my displeasure as he lazily relaxed in his seat next to Tiffany.

            “Why are we taking the bus?” I asked, gripping the pole harder when the bus bounced up and down on rocky gravel.  

            “Because none of us have a car,” Emily answered immediately. “Man, this sucks.” I nodded my head to agree, but a fat man blocked my view of Emily’s face. His butt crack was mooning me, and I shuddered in horror, my eyes averted to the dusty ground.

            Eric snickered, pointing at me as I hugged the pole when the bus dipped in a pothole. “Stripper pole!” he laughed, earning a smack on the head from Tiffany. “Kidding,” he mumbled, rubbing his head.

            I shook my head at Eric’s immatureness. “Why do you seen in him, Tiff?”

            A light blush grew on Tiffany’s face, while Eric smirked. “Well, what doesn’t she see in me?” Eric didn’t wait for me to reply and said, “I’m every girl’s fantasy.”

            I barked out laughing, whereas Emily choked on her spit. “That’s gross. I’m your sister!” Emily scrunched her face in disgust. “You are definitely not my fantasy.”

            Eric rolled his eyes. “Obviously you don’t count. But I’m serious, all the ladies want me.”

            Emily snorted. “Ha, yeah right. Dad keeps lying to you.”

            “Emily you’re just jealous. Let’s face it. I’m the good looking twin while you’re the ugly duckling,” Eric paused then said, “You don’t even have a date to the dance!”

            And the arguing began.

            My head lolled back and forth, as I watched Emily and Eric’s non-stop spatting. I would stop them but I just didn’t feel like it. I was stuck on a bus, full of weird, smelly people, so their arguing wouldn’t really make a difference right now. I was actually glad that I was standing up, away from their squabble. Tiffany’s head slumped down in annoyance, her hands scrunching her dirty blonde hair.

            I felt a burning sensation in my arm from an incessant poking and I immediately inched my arm away. I glared at the little boy who was poking me, with a silly smile on his face. He prodded my arm again, and this time I winced. I could feel the blood dribbling down my arm, in need of a new band aid. His mother didn’t say anything at all, instead she just watched her son afflict pain on me. Ignorant much?

            Because his mother was watching, I wasn’t allowed to swear at the little boy. “Stop it,” I hissed in a low voice, but he didn’t stop. Sighing, I moved away from the pole to another pole, away from the pesky little boy. “I should’ve asked Adam to drive us to the mall,” I muttered.

            Emily gasped. “Hey, maybe I should ask Adam to be my date to the dance! Lila, your brother is hot!”

            “He’s nine years older than us. Wouldn’t that be weird?” I laughed. “If you really want to ask him, knock yourself out!”