The Mysterious Hero: Chapter 12

Excited chatter filled the air as I entered the school. Everyone was talking about the junior dance that was going to be held tonight. The dance was going to be the bomb, supposedly, the talk of the century. The students were being dramatic, though, it was just a dance. It couldn’t be that amazing. But I would hear all about it, tomorrow. All the juniors were going to be there, except me.   

            I passed by a bunch of muscular boys that were bragging about banging girls. I groaned, wishing that the students would stop fantasizing about getting laid after the dance. Really, who cared? No one.

            Strolling through the hall in the direction of my locker, I picked up that I was going to get attacked, so I braced myself. A minute later, an energetic body clashed into mine. My hands held onto Tiffany as she stumbled towards the ground.

            “Hey, Lila,” she greeted, brushing her blonde hair out of her eyes. “I’m so excited!”

            I cracked a smile at her. “I can see that.”

            “Morning, Li-Li!” Emily shouted, walking towards me. “Hey… you look very tired. Did Luke give you trouble at tutoring?”

            That and because of something else. I had to fight two bad guys trying to take advantage of a girl last night, and that seriously tired me out. When I finished fighting them till they were unconscious, I had to bring the passed out girl home. I looked at her ID to find her address, and it turned out that she lived ten miles away. It was a tiring walk, especially because that girl was not lightweight. But of course, I couldn’t tell them that, so I settled with blaming Luke.

            “I can’t wait for the dance tonight!” Emily cheered, throwing her hands in the air. “It’s going to be so fun and awesome!”

            Eric appeared by Tiffany’s side, his arm casually thrown across her shoulders. “Good day, sir,” he said, grinning at me. “Dance is tonight!”  

            I groaned. “Eh, you guys are so ebullient and ecstatic. It’s annoying!”

            “Lila, you should seriously go to the dance with us!” Emily pleaded. “What are you going to do at home? Read? Wash the dishes? Boring!”

            “I agree,” Tiffany whispered. “Come with us.”

            “Yeah!” Eric shouted. “The Four Musketeers have to stick together.” We stared blankly at Eric who was beaming like the idiot he was. “What?”

            “It’s The Three Musketeers,” I corrected him.

            “But there are four of us.”

            “Eric, shut up!” Emily snapped. “Think about it, Lila. If you want, you can borrow one of my dresses.”

            “No.”

            I felt bad for saying no to my friends. I hated letting people down, but I couldn’t go. For some reason, my senses were beyond alert when it was nighttime. I didn’t know why my senses were like that. I remembered a few years ago, I was sleeping peacefully in my bed when I woke up with a jerk. I was sweating, my heart was pounding, and it was passed midnight. I could feel that danger was in the distance, and no matter how many times I told myself not to go out in the night, I did.  I ended up fighting a man that was going to rob a gas station. I stopped him in time from getting away. He was arrested.

            After that experience, I couldn’t stop myself from going out in the middle of the night. It was the same routine every night. I stopped criminals from getting away, crimes from happening, and saved people’s lives. I felt that it was my duty.