Prologue

The city was burning, but it was unlike any fire mankind has ever seen. The acid instantly devoured everything that was green, yet it didn't touch Luna's eyes. She ran as fast as she could, away from the screaming women and men on the sidewalk. People around her looked like an image raised from the darkest religious description of hell. Their skin was blustering and blood started covering the streets, concrete was painted in shades of red.
A while back in the hotel room when it happened, she wrapped her white frenchie pug puppy with a spare cotton hoodie and ran out as fast as she humanly could.
The air was toxic, her dog Gaia was whining and panting heavily.
Luna immediately thought she needed to get to higher ground.
She covered her mouth and ran, people screamed and cried as she wondered why wouldn't they run now and panic later.

Quickly reaching the mountain top and looking down on the horrific view of Los Angeles California swallowed by acid fog; Luna winced from excruciating pain. She fell on her knees, releasing Gaia and taking a long terrified sigh.

Her hands were boiled.

...

Luna Jurado sneaked her way around stores and buildings eating whatever she could find. LA was consumed by an unnatural heat wave. Thankfully she had drove her way to the north side of Santa Monica when The city of angels literally turned into the city of demons.

She couldn't stay hiding in the woods for too long with sore burnt hands and no source of nutrition or a place to sleep. Everywhere she went was at chaos.

"excuse me, do you know what's happening?" she asked agitated and rioting people

"what's going on?"

Tears didn't leave her eyes as she walked into a supermarket. She noticed people have already broken in and stole stuff. A famous writer once said 'in times of war and chaos, stay away from policestations, hospitals and supermarkets they are the fist to fall'.

She wondered if that was the case. Luna tried every phone she came across with no success. She went towards a stand and took a sweet roll.
After eating enough to give her the energy to move forward, she looked around for supplies.
Jurado grabbed a black school bag, a yellow raincoat and a gas mask. Fueled her bag with food and beverages. She wasn't dumb not to know what the heat wave was, the extention of fire and explosion caused by a nuclear bomb. She was almost certain, in the distance, she could still see the giant cloud of reddish gray smoke. She knew this much damage wasn't caused by a simple gas explosion.

Gaia was still whining, Luna fed her puppy with the best quality dog food she found and packed some in the bag aswell. She picked Gaia up and kissed her head, whispering "you thirsty?"

Her pup panted in response. After she made sure they both got hydrated, she climbed the stairs to the second floor of the market, where she found bandages and skin care supplies.
She allowed herself to sit on the ground between the stalls and apply some aloe vera after burn creme to her hands. Luna rolled the sterile bandages around her palms and fingers until she looked like a mummified zombie.

Zombie.

She can't erase the images, what the clouds that invaded her whole world that night did to the people, the animals, the trees.

Somehow it didn't affect her, and it scared her even more. She paused and eyed the creme bottle, remembering that she always uses a variety of skincare products in the morning and before bed. She had a hunch that whatever she applied on her skin that day, kept her from burning as fast as the rest have.

Her guts made her run northwest,
Luna realized that her hands being unprotected by clothes caused them to be more exposed to the wave.

For days she was trying to call her family, but every electronic device in her surroundings seems to be down.