Chapter 24: The Unexplained Demon Hound?

It's been three hours, yet we still heard gunshots coming from outside. It was now the late afternoon and Maddie, and I were watching Matilda sleep in my bed. It seemed that my head felt dizzy from all the unanswered questions in my mind:

Was that woman that died, Matilda's mother?

Who were these men outside?

Who were they hunting down?

Why were there so many of them?

Could Richard or Claude be behind all this?

Could Roger have hired them?

My head began to ache. I grabbed my forehead in pain and groaned. A sharp pain flicked into the side of my head and made its way down to my ear. Maddie looked at me with a worried look on her face. "Jae, are you alright?" She asked. As she said that my mind drifted off into an illusion of that woman's face.

-'He...injected the..and...I just wanted...my...daughter....back.'

My head ached more, and I groaned louder, my head felt as if it was splitting! 'My daughter...don't take..her...save..her...poi..son..'-

Suddenly my vision became clear and I saw Sebastian. The pain was gone, and I tried to slow my heart rate down. Knowing that that woman might've been her mother and I was too late to save her made tears flood my eyes. "It was...fault." I said faintly and cried. I felt Maddie's hand as it rubbed my back gently. "Jae, just calm down." She said. I wiped my face and looked up.

Sebastian was there, but he didn't look the same as before he left. He had scratches on his face, and his suit was ripped in different places. "Sebastian?" I called his name, and he wiped my tears with his thumb. "It's over." I heard Mei Rin by the door, but her voice was different. She had a low modern tone and wasn't wearing her glasses. Her dress was pinned up from underneath, and she had two guns clipped onto her stockings. "Mei Rin?" I called her name, and she quickly placed on her glasses. Her cheeks flushed as soon as her glasses came over her eyes. "Madame Jae! Are you alright?" She called and fell to my side. Her voice was now the same as before. Goofy and all. Could it be that her glasses represented her personality? What an interesting characteristic of hers. I smiled down at her and she smiled back. "I'm fine." I sighed and stood to my feet. Matilda sat up in my bed and she looked worried. She quickly covered herself in the bed sheets and began to shake in fear. "No! It's Hunter! He's coming to get me!" She cried. I ran over to her and tried to hold her in my arms. Matilda swatted my hand away and jumped out of the bed. She held onto Sebastian and cried. "Daddy! A demon hound is coming! The demon hound is coming!" She repeated. I was frozen in my tracks. Matilda had never rejected me before, and I couldn't believe what had just happened. "Demon hound? Do such things exist?" Maddie asked with her hands crossed over chest. Mei Rin looked down at the floor and sighed. "Only in rumors they do!" Mei Rin fixed her glasses and shook. Was this some tale? Well after I found out Sebastian was a demon, I could possibly believe in anything. Ghosts, reapers, and even demon hounds could exist in my mind. But it seemed as if Mei Rin didn't know Sebastian was a demon. Could she not tell?
In the midst of my thoughts, a howl was heard from outside, and everyone froze. "No! Leave me alone!" Matilda cried. Sebastian was confused at how strong Matilda's grip on him was. She refused to let go of him. "You're a demon Daddy! Tell him to go away!" Mei Rin was shocked at Matilda's words and so was Maddie. They exchanged glances towards each other and then at me. I shrugged my shoulders and smiled. "Yeah...Guess sooner or later on telling you has turned to sooner." I said and blushed. Sebastian grabbed Matilda and ran out of the room with her in his arms. "Sebastian!?" I called his name, but he continued to leave my side. Why wasn't he listening? Maddie grabbed my shoulder and turned my body toward her.

"Sebastian's a what? You're in love with a what?"

"Wait! Listen to me-"

"Why is a demon your butler?"

"I sold my soul in exchange for revenge on those who killed Father and I wanted to gain more experience than he did-"

"You sold your soul!?" Maddie yelled at me.

"Yes, but listen-!"

Suddenly the window was shadowed over and a huge crystal blue eye was seen from the outside. Maddie and Mei Rin screamed at the top of their lungs. I froze in sight of the demon hound. It's huge blue cornea was sparkling brightly from the sun. I stepped towards the creature, and Maddie pulled my arm. "What the bloody hell are you doing?" She asked. I shook my arm loose and slowly opened the window. The eye of the creature grew smaller and I could finally see the dog's face. It's fur color was white and its tongue was sticking out, panting as if it had ran. "Hunter?" I called. The huge dog kneeled down and wagged its bushy tail happily, swaying against this roses in the garden. It was no different from a regular dog, but what was it looking for? Mei Rin came up beside me and smiled. "This big one is adorable isn't he?" Then Sebastian came back to the room and Matilda hid behind him. She wore a blindfold over her eyes and was holding onto his suit tightly. "Keep walking, that's it." Sebastian guided her over to the window. "Sebastian?" I called his name wanting to know what he was up to. He's faced a demon hound before, right? Then why blindfold Matilda? He held her hand out to the enormous creature and softly petted the dog's nose. "What is this?" Matilda asked. Sebastian slowly untied the blindfold and Matilda froze. "Hu-Hu!" She couldn't say the dog's name, shock overcoming her body. "Is this the scary demon hound you spoke of?" Maddie asked. Matilda slowly nodded and began to rub on Hunter's nose again. She smiled softly. "It seems Matilda had a fear of Hunter, not that this creature would kill anyone without a reason." I turned to Sebastian as he said this and thought for a moment. So if Matilda was just scared of Hunter, does that mean this creature was completely harmless? Hunter's tongue came towards the window and licked Sebastian on his back. Sebastian frowned at the dog's action. "Now, now. Behave yourself like a good dog." He said. I thought for a moment. I loved any type of animal, but a huge demon hound like this would be hard to take care of. I didn't really care though, for this massive puppy had quite an impression on me. It would be a bother to let him roam free in the town, resulting in what he might do. But Sebastian was a cat lover not a dog lover, and that would be bothersome. Suddenly I turned to Hunter and smiled. "You wanna stay?" I asked now understanding. Sebastian glared at me angrily.

"You can't be serious." He said.

"But he's adorable. Come on Sebastian!" I pleaded.

Maddie looked at the enormous pup and smiled. "He does look rather beautiful." Maddie admitted. Mei Rin blushed happily and squealed. "Yay!" Sebastian's eye twitched vigorously and he sighed. "Alright, whatever you say, Madame."

I turned to smile at the enormous puppy, but found nothing by my window. "Hunter?" I called.

"Ruff! Ruff!" A little yelp was heard and I looked down at the ground. A handsome man was sitting in the grass with long white hair falling upon his back. "He can turn human?" I asked and turned to Mei Rin, who shrugged. Human form huh? "Alright, he sleeps outside then if he can't control it." I suggested and everyone agreed, except for Sebastian who was staring blankly at the floor. I hope I didn't upset him that much. I looked down at the human version of Hunter and blushed.

"Sebastian please get him some clothes!"