Chapter 72: Broken

"If you shall fail, then your faithful companion shall be mine."
"That's absurd! You can't predict this will happen!"
"I'm going on with it, no matter how absurd you believe it to be."
"Do you really expect her to disappear like so into thin air?"
"I'm not expecting, Madame. I know my way around the events in this part of England, and with just one glance, anything can happen."
"So you'll be behind this?"
"That is incorrect. I have orders from a certain businessman, and I shall do as he pleases."
"No matter who you work for, if she is to fall into the hands of you or another of your kind, I will end you with no hesitation."
"I see."
"Now enough of this talk. Unlike you, I have business somewhere else."
"In the end, I believe you accept?"
"Yes, I do."

I slammed my fists onto my desk in anger, "Damn it!" I hadn't found Matilda for the past two days, and my time was running out. If Madame Crawford knew about her disappearance and told me of it, then Matilda wouldn't be at her manor. I've searched every edge and end of the town, yet Matilda's presence had never been detected by Sebastian. If this is to continue, Sebastian will not be by my side. I should've never bargained with that miscreant! A knock was heard at my door, and I stood over my desks, my hands balled into fists. "Come in." Maiden Rose entered with fear in her eyes and held a dusting brush in the palms of her hands. "Madame," she called softly, and I looked up at her, my heart pounding, "I fear I have some dreadful news." She handed me a white envelope, and I hesitated to retrieve it. My hand shook as I grabbed it from her and I stared down at it, identifying it's seal; nothing embedded. They concealed their identity. Maiden Rose shook the brush and took a deep breath, calmly waiting. "Maiden Rose," I spoke up and she looked at me, "We mustn't speak to anyone what I've done."
She nodded in reply and held her gaze to my hands. I pressed my fingers onto the end of the envelope, beginning to open it when my door clicked open. I placed the envelope into the first desk drawer and glanced at the door. "Madame," Sebastian's voice filled the room, "I've made you your afternoon tea."
"Excellent." I replied, "Thank you Sebastian."
Maiden Rose bowed respectfully and left the study room with worry. Her shoes were heard down the hall, clicking greatly off beat, starring and stopping. I looked at Sebastian, who was carefully pouring my tea. I sat down and sighed in frustration. "Sebastian, had anything come up?"
"I'm afraid not My Lady. Not a single message from Sir Randolph." Sebastian sat the silver polished tea cup on my desk and stood beside me, a silver tray underneath his arm. He held a handful of my hair and briskly ran his thumb over it. "This won't do." He frowned. "Would it be perfect timing to groom your hair?"
I sighed and stood from my chair, "That's fine, just give me a moment." I walked out of the study and left him to clean the study as usual. I stretched my arms above my head and sighed.

Sebastian's POV:
As she left the study room, I began fixing up her books and papers. I held up one of the papers and skimmed through it. The contract Jae signed with Lady Madeline. I placed the sheet onto the paper stack and picked them up. As I opened the drawer that was closest to the chair, I noticed a white unsealed envelope sitting in the middle. I sat the stack to the side and reached for the envelope. I opened it and began reading the inside letter. My eyes grew wide with surprise.

'Your time is drawing close to an end and I'm afraid your luck is running out. I'm aware of your searching and your whereabouts, but you shan't find your dear child any further. Your faithful butler won't be of any use to you if you're searching for just a child. If you don't hand him over than do not hope to see the young one's smile again.'

A smile appeared on my face, and I chuckled to myself. I released the letter, allowing it to fall into the drawer. I shook my head. So, My Lady, this is what you spoke to Madame Crawford about? Using me as an award, how selfish of you to make a deal without consulting with me first. My you've changed quite a bit.
Putting your needs before any one else's.
I do look forward to your actions further in your little 'game'.