Smoke

Mavis transformed herself into a bat, which was strange because I did not expect it. 

I open my wings ready to embark on the trip to this place. My nerves were high. I did not know how I would address Jaspar. 

I felt the cold wind running through my feathers, making me waver, preventing a smooth flight from Mavis and I.

"Couldn't you of picked another night for this?!" Mavis asks yelling over the wind.

"It has to be tonight!" I shout back.

Mavis points at the house below, we both dive from the clouds and levitate from a considerable distance for a safe landing.

We came upon the small cottage looking house. The wooden slats looked shaved and unappealing from the weather it's endured over the years. The cottage's appearance looked completely neglected for centuries.

I signal to Mavis, "You want to come with me?"

"You know the way back right?" Mavis asks, "This is your business. I am not as reckless as you."

I nod, "It's okay. Thank you Mavis."

Mavis leaves me alone, which relieves me in a way.

I enter the cottage and the door creaking echoes throughout the cottage. I create a light from my Angel aura and focus it on my hand, which creates a small levitating lamp. 

The white light illuminates on the ruins of this place. Broken belongings.

Why did this peak Jaspar's interest?

I see something emerging in the distance, as I increase the span of my light I can see black smoke coming towards me. I return the light to myself and use my aura as a protective barrier against the smoke.

"It's you isn't it?!" I exclaim.

The smoke surrounds me now trying to break through the barrier.

"It's you Jaspar." I say.

The smoke shrivels and forms a body, appearing before me was Jaspar.

"Angel slave. How ironic we meet." He says with his red eyes glowing, "Officially I mean, not in someone else's body."

Does he not remember our meeting as a child? Or does he know it was me?

"You were the genius behind the fabrication. Kiryan told me." He tells me.

"You could've just let Kiryan go!" I shout at him.

"Why are you defending her?" Jaspar asks with a smirk, "She's the one that told me to kill you instead of her."

"You just want an excuse to kill." I say, "Is that why you killed the residents at the slum?"

Jaspar's expression transitioned into something serious, he was slightly angry I brought up his past.

"So you know I'm not related to my father," Jaspar says then explains, "I killed people because they tested me. I killed people to survive. I killed people because if I didn't I would die. My father the King brought me in because of my abilities."

"I don't see why you hate Jack." I intervene.

"Isn't it obvious?" Jaspar laughs, "He isn't fit to become a king. The way he acted as a kid he was so feeble and acted vulnerable, even the public was wary of the new leader. However, he would always be the king. He didn't practice or work as hard as I have. But he always defeated me. He is nothing and will ruin the dignity of Hell."

I shake my head, "If anything you are."

Jaspar looks at me in puzzlement and anger, "What did you say?"

"You're not related to the King. You're originally from the slums. Power-wise you're inferior." I list, "If anything, you'd be breaking traditions if you were King. So really, you don't deserve the crown."

Jaspar suddenly dispersed into smoke, once again surrounding me. My aura shield was enabled again.

Jaspar's voice echoed, "That may not be entirely true about Jack ... but I will not allow you to talk about me you filthy, lowly Angel Slave."

"That whole speech wasn't about Jack. It was about you're father. You were just mad you weren't as praised as much as him," I tell him, "You're just angry at the fact that you're savior and the one you respect doesn't regard you as the best."

The smoke tries to lean up against the barrier, but my heart remains strong, and the smoke gets deflected while this happens he forms back into his original form, and lays on the floor from the impact.

"But you always have to put your anger on someone else." I say.

Jaspar gets up, and he narrows his eyes at me.

"... Are you saying I don't deserve to be king? Because of my 'daddy issues'?" He says with resent in his voice.

"All I'm saying is that Jack is only a product of your neglect," I elaborate, "There isn't a real reason why you hate him. You just want to avoiding blaming your father for your complicated feelings because you respect him. You respect him so much you go on a military mission to find him."

Jaspar just continues looking at me in subtle disgust, he hates the truth I'm telling.

"I wouldn't be here if this duel was based on true intentions to rule Hell with good plans for the Kingdom." I state.

He looks at me blankly, "I won't disregard my hard work because an Angel told me. I will destroy Jack. I will give honor to the title. Because Jack is the source of my problems."

He knows that everything I said was the truth. But is this his way of telling me that this is the only way he can deal with his feelings? He can't do anything about his Father ... so this must be his resolve.

But this does not justify for all the deaths he's caused. I still need to find out what he's up to here.

"You ..." Jaspar addresses me, "You're that Angel who was in Hell when we were children."