Chapter 12 - Part 2 - Haunting feelings

During our ride back to the castle, a few soldiers met us at the entrance to the city. Silently, they followed behind like a parade, mucking the stone paths with the horse prints dragging in the mud. Slowing my horse, I glance over at the open square in the city. A gorgeous fountain is displayed in the center. Statues carved into the stone. Water trickled from the center into the vast pool of water. A woman sat with her child on the ledge, and I still my horse to watch.

Several men carry stacks of wood passed my view of the woman with her child. My attention is drawn to them in curiosity. Following their movements to behind the fountain I see several more men building a platform much like the one Thaddeus stood atop before his hunting trip.

I glance back at Thaddeus in question, "Are you having another announcement?"

Pain flashing in his eyes just before his expression is hidden with a turn of his head, "Claire, it's getting late."

Suspicion has me staring at him for a moment longer when the wails of the child by the fountain, consumes my attention. The woman holds the child as silent tears fall down her own cheeks. She covers the small boys face, blocking his view of us with a strange disgust in her expression.

"Claire, now," Thaddeus becomes distance and cold.

Why does she hold such contempt towards her king? What has he done or is it disgust towards me? I glance around the square and notice many people standing near the platform watching with dread as the structure is quickly assembled.

I look towards the Traveller. I thought I could learn to trust, but once again he becomes the King. His face is cold and distant as he watches me process what I am seeing.

"What have you done?" I whisper.

"Nothing, we need to go," he kicks his horse into a trot.

A sudden burst of emotions flows through me, "No!" My heart races and I stare at the King with contempt of my own.

The King trots his horse over in a menacing approach. I, a traitor's daughter, had just rebelled against an order from the King and everyone is watching. He brings his horse in front of him and hisses, "Mind your tongue. We will discuss this in the castle."

I shake my head, looking back painfully to the broken eyes of the woman by the fountain. I know the truth. I know what the 'event' is and I can't allow it to happen. Tears surface, threatening to tumble down my cheeks as I am fueled with confidence I long forgot.

"Where is she?"

"Claire," the King growls, "Enough."

I close my eyes, my hands gripping the reigns tighter in anger. When I open my eyes, everything stills and my hatred burns into the King's stare. "Answer me!" I screech.

One of the soldiers quickly dismounts his horse. His boots thudding against the stone and dirt beneath us. King Thaddeus' gaze rips from mine as he stares at the soldier, "Back down soldiers."

His soldier was ready to detain me, just as they did with Queen Katherine. Only this time, there is no hesitation. I am not their Queen, I am a Mistress, nothing more than a disturbance between their King and Queen's marriage.

"What are you going to behead me too?" I hiss.

King Thaddeus' racks his hands through his hair in frustration, "Of course not. Get inside!" He is holding himself back from becoming a public spectacle.

I had nothing to lose, these people would never accept my child if their beloved Queen died for his right to rule. I need to end this, for my child's future. Royal or not, my child will never have a murderer in his life. I need to change his mind. I need him to see her. Holding my stare, I growl at the King, "Bring me to her!"