Chapter 1 - Part 1 - Betrayal

~Quick message to everyone! Thank you for those of you who have been loyal so far! I have done a huge rewrite of the story and it is so worth a reread! Enjoy!~

He slams his fist down, silencing my screams of distaste from the sudden noise. Here I am, once again questioning my sanity. Has everything led up to this ignominious reality? Could I back out after all this preparation? My gaze lowers, and I stare at his hand. His tanned skin is beaten red from where his fist continually connects with the wooden table. I see it fading to white, as blood slowly stops flowing to his clenched hand. A sheer sign of him holding back his temper.

With my long waves of hair draping over my face, using it as a curtain to hide behind, I peek up at the man I will inevitably marry. His thick, blonde, unkempt shag is falling below his eyebrows, his eyes glaring at me from under. His jaw is tight, he is barely holding back his rage. Never once has he laid a hand on me but tonight, I fear our relationship has changed.

"Silence Claire!" Chadwick snaps at me.

Reality is barely settling in my mind, and I've become exhausted from endless yelling. My body wobbles, and my face pale from lack of sleep. Gripping the table, I try to hold myself up, while I struggle to calm my trembles of rage. Another outburst from me and Chadwick's restrained emotions will unravel.

Lifting my head, I stare at him with disgust, "Don't you dare silence me." I shake my head as the memory of that woman floods into my thoughts.

Chadwick walks me to the door, it was getting late, and I needed to get home. I opened his door and became startled by the person before me. Her long blonde hair cascading around her dirtied clothing, it appeared she had come a long way to be here. She looked beautiful but exhausted and worn. A moving twitch came from the bundle of blankets, and in her hands, I registered the baby stirring from sleep. I gasped, stepping back into Chadwick. He held me remaining still as the woman looked up into his eyes and passed me.

Last night's events still haunt my memories. A woman had come to town with a small child, not even a few months old. She informed Chadwick of the bastard child, which he had fathered. The news ripped the air from my lungs. A heavy sigh of memory leaves my lips, "I can't marry you."

I lean onto the table to support my weight. I find the last bit of strength I have, as my exhaustion takes over. We haven't slept, only screamed endlessly through the night. My hatred only increasing with each hour. The argument has brought me to tears, yet the situation remains the same. I begged him to cancel our wedding, but he won't. I am beginning to feel as though nothing is left in my control. Either he will dismiss me, or lash out, as he has done. He betrayed me. I am helpless, and can do nothing, but voice my opinion, and pray I upset him enough to get rid of me.

"You are promised to me. Remember that," Chadwick shouts, belittling me with his pointed finger, as he always does.

How could I forget? Each day, someone reminds me, complimenting me for this prized engagement my family has landed. This is the inevitable life I will live, trapped behind walls with an arrogant man in my bed.

"That was before your son showed up," I snap. The pain of his betrayal wounds me deeply. I have given up my freedom for his desires. My family has risked everything for what: complete disrespect?

All men of a title have no consideration for the repercussions of their actions. How could I have believed this man was ever sincere when he said he loved me? He only saw my appearance, and when that didn't satisfy him, he went elsewhere.

Fearful of the news that could stain our marriage, he refused to let me leave. I have not even informed my family. How could I tell them of this? First, we need to figure out how we are going to handle his mistake. I know my father will still desire this engagement. After all, it was status that motivated him. If I want things to change, I have to fight for myself, so here I am, screaming to control my future.