Chapter 13 - Part 1 - Secret Meetings

Helena drapes the thick brown cloak over my shoulders, her hands trembling as she fumbles to secure it with a knot. Frays of hair sticking to the sweat forming on her forehead. Since Katherine's banishment, things became tense in the castle. What happened inside the tower, stayed secret after we left. Thaddeus cancelled the execution, claiming mercy to his wife by giving her a private execution. She packed that night, signed an annulment and slipped into a carriage riding to Caprese. Not one soul knew the Queen lived on.

My heart pumping drastically inside me, as I place my hands over Helena's stilling her trembles. Glancing towards the door in agitation, Helena steps away looking to the door nervously. Though locked, we both feared the opening of it.

Now is my only chance to meet with Chadwick. My last opportunity, before I spent eternity inside this castle. An eternity that I sentenced myself to, still I had yet to understand if it was for the best or not. No matters the risks, I need to speak with Chadwick and end this feud for the safety of my child. For the souls of my family stuck in limbo while the misunderstanding hangs high between Chadwick and me.

Helena steps away from me, and my lungs constrict. With no other choice, I hold my breath and tug the hood up and over my hair. She pulls back the tapestry, and I slip under into the darkness. My feet splashing in the small puddles as I wander cautiously through the cold tunnel.

How is Chadwick going to react when he sees me? I know he said whatever happens but there must be some exceptions. Looking down I place my hand on my slightly extended belly, the cloak masking my current condition. We are meeting in public, all I have to do is drop my hood, and everyone's attention would be on me. He isn't stupid enough to do anything to the King's pregnant mistress, and I'm sure word has spread to his ears by now.

I wander through the busy crowds keeping my head low as soldiers pass by oblivious of me. Helena had brought in some old clothes to help disguise me, she knew the importance of this meeting and discrete manner that fell around it. This meeting went outside of the King's knowledge if he learns that I am speaking of peaceful negotiations on his behalf he would have no other choice than to hang me for treason. Unlike Katherine, I will not be so lucky as to receive a pardon.

A hand reaches out in the crowd and stills me, I whip my head around completely alert. A soldier or Chadwick? Only two options. My breathing stills as I stare at my brother's roughened features. My whole world freezes, his scruffy beard, now inches long and speckled with shades of brown. His eyes so soft and pale green as they stare back into mine in relief. Though there was a hardness hidden behind them, something unfamiliar to me.

My mind finally processes the man in front of me, and I breathe out, "Octavius?"

"Yes, Claire. I'm here," he smiles at me knowingly.

This shocking realization he had anticipated, he had planned for it. It has been far too long since I had last seen my brother, we were nearly inseparable back at the village. Much has changed, even his features. His baby face is now thinned and masculine from travel. He isn't taking care of himself while he is on the run.

"Oh heaven above, I thought you had died," I raise my voice slightly as a tear rolls down my face.

Octavius tugs me onto his warm embarrass, "I'm here now, all will be better."

His touch is warming and familiar. So familiar that a lump in my throat forms in the memory of my family, my father.

"Oh, Octavius, I'm so sorry. Father, he is.." I cry into his shoulder.

He silences me, "I know, Claire, it's ok."

"What about Mother?" I whisper fearfully.

She is a strong woman but the loss of her husband and having her children taken away from her, one to the castle and another as a traitor. No mother could handle that kind of heartbreak easily.