Chapter 12 - Part 1 - Fields of Empty

A loud knock echoes into the room filling its silence. Cuddled up on the lounging chair I had requested for the room, I read my latest book. The door quietly creaks open, and I close the book placing it down as I turn my attention to the intruder.

King Thaddeus steps towards me his hair tied back looking casual in his riding gear. The last time he wore this was when he went hunting months ago. He leans over the back of my chair, resting on his arm as he looks down at me.

Cranking my neck up towards him I question, "What are you doing here, your Majesty?"

He grits his teeth sucking in a breath when I address him formally. This has changed sense Katherine was detained, he no longer enjoys when I reference his title, what other choice do I have? I am a nobody, a farm girl.

"You have been cooped up here for a solid week, I'm taking you out," he grits through his teeth. Clearly, I have been worrying him as of late.

"A ride? The King and his mistress? How scandalous," I tease him, lightening the mood immediately.

"You read my mind," he whispers darkly in my ear reaching out towards me.

"Lead the way, oh great ruler," I cheer taking his hand dramatically.

"Accompany me to the horses?"

I follow his lead out of the room. Practically, skipping down the hall in excitement. Wait, Horses? I never want to ride another one again after eight harsh days of riding when I first arrived. I freeze feeling the urge to rub my rear.

"My bottom still throbs from the idea of riding a horse again," I mumble begrudgingly.

Tugging me quickly he ignores my distress.

"That rough of an excursion here?" he lifts his eyebrow looking down at me in amusement as we walk side by side.

"Unpleasurable for certain," I admit openly.

Servants all but dive against the walls to make way for us. Ignoring their bows and lowering gazes I let our eyes lock. The servants blur in my peripheral vision as I allow his stare to consume me. His soft muddy coloured eyes beaming back at me, once again we are the farm girl and the traveller.

"Come, it won't be as terrible if we move slowly."

Trust him, I remind myself. This is something I need to work on if we are going to raise a child together.

~

Sitting atop one of the King's many horses I gaze out over the open field behind the Willbridge City. The fields fading brown from the cold fall weather, even in this season the view was breathtaking. Long and wide it touches every part of the horizon, and the castle standing boldly in the center, as the cold breeze roses my cheeks I shiver. I felt damp high above the mud that the horses stood in. Even the open fields of grass looked damp, though in several spots the grass still ross high whistling away in the wind. With time a farmer will come and till the fresh soil below, ruining this view forever. The thought saddens me as I gaze in awe at the breathtaking sight.

"It's marvellous," I breath.

"I'm glad you like it," King Thaddeus smiles as his horse trots up beside me.

"The fields are terribly bare tho," I admit my thoughts, knowing full well that it will be covered with crops in due time.

His hand reaches out touching my knee lightly in some silent understanding, "How can I correct that?"

"Flowers, fields of flowers," I chuckle dreamily, remembering back in Hull, all the wildflowers that scattered through the unkempt fields going as far as the horizon.