Chapter 5 - Part 1 - Castle

Five rough days riding west across the flat Plains of Lanercoast has my bottom aching from bruising. Passing through the Border of Elderham there was a defined line of rich terrain. Rocks and moss, lush grass with distant forests. Constant trotting did a number to my muscles, jolting them around into strained stiffness. Roughened by the long journey, I hadn't dared guess how I looked. Day in and day out I am endlessly distracted by worry for my family. The only thing that calms me is remembering, once this is all cleared up, I can return home.

Looking up I gasp as Willbridge comes into view. Seeing the tall stone buildings of Alexandria's capital, it's breathtaking, I am entrapped with awe. Locals parting as the horses trot through the streets towards the castle gates. It is normal here to see soldiers, whereas I remember the villagers surrounding the soldiers with curiosity and wonder.

Something about going under the gate gave me a sudden feeling of being trapped. I squeeze my eyes shut for just long enough not to witness entering the castle walls.

Glancing down to distract my thoughts I observe the path leading us to the castle. The Traveller was accurate about the stone paths. Beauty beneath the horses' hooves precisely placed. I have never seen something more intricate than a simple path of stone. The small stones led towards larger stone steps, the castle's entrance.

We turn away from the entrance and towards the side where the stone returns to dirt. I look up at the tall, straight walls as the soldiers halt their horses, hopping down. I remain in place looking up to the endless walls that touch the sky. The soldier reaches up pulling me from the horse, gently placing me on my feet. As my feet touch the ground, everything seems to change suddenly.

The soldier snatches me by the upper arm and drags through the back entrance. My short legs, moving double speed to keep up with the soldier's full strides. Ushered through the servants' alleys, I become baffled. Hadn't the King sent for me? This is no way for him to treat his guest. The soldier had warned me that he didn't have to be kind to me from the beginning. Am I in trouble? A shiver runs awkwardly through me.

Quickly I am guided through the servants quarters towards a small room with a wash tub and several ladies fluttering around inside. The soldier shoves me forward and leans against the doorway blocking my exits as if holding me captive. The women immediately move forward grabbing at me with speed. Stripping me of my dirty clothes by the ladies inside the room in an aggressive manner, suddenly I'm pulled into the metal basin.

My skin is coated in dirt from the long travels, the water turns murky and impure as I stand in the broad metal basin. A female servant walks over with a bucket and abruptly pour the content over me. Freezing cold water hits me like daggers, and I shiver. Crossing my arms, I try to cover everything in case the soldiers dared to peek. I feel humiliated, I am capable of washing myself. Why is no one speaking?

A woman wraps a warm, dry robe over my shoulders. Covering me as I step out from the basin, the ends of the cloak soaking from the water around my ankles. Women quickly pat my body letting the cloth absorb the water. A woman reaches into a chest nearby, pulling out fabrics, and the robe is removed. Wrapping a corset around my bust, they begin to tug at the strings. I gasp as they squeeze the air from my lungs. They slip the most expensive dress I had ever laid eyes over my head. Soft material falls to the floor and clings loosely to my thighs. I look down at the beige dress that hangs from my hips in awe.

Shoved towards a stool, the women push on my shoulders forcing me to sit. Aggressively, they tug through my tangled, damp, brown, hair trying to smooth out the apparent stressful journey it experienced.

Tears run down my face as I finally break down, the experience takes over my emotions. I have lost all control over my body as it trembles with each heavy breath. A woman knees before me and slips on a thin brown cloth shoe. One of the servants turns to me with a handkerchief quickly wiping away my tears before my cheeks stain. I stare up at her for a short pause of a moment, her frigid features show no remorse for my situation.

The soldier by the door storms over and grabs my upper arm. Once again, I'm being dragged out of the room stumbling over my feet. We move swiftly through the halls, I can barely manage to stay upright, it is almost like I am a sack of potatoes dragged along the floor.

I'm dragged through a much grander hall. Now, that I'm cleaned up, they allow me out of the servant quarters. How humiliating.

"Where are you taking me?" I cry out to the soldier.

He simply ignores me. Tugging me along with him until we arrive at a set of large doors. Looking up at them their stature intimidating, I freeze, this is it. This is the moment my questions will be answered.

The doors open in perfect harmony and the soldier's hand leaves my arm as it is now placed on my back pushing me forward. Stumbling slightly I quickly toss my feet out to stable myself. Looking up I take in my surroundings. I gasp at the large rectangular room, high ceilings with pillars swirling down to the ground. Carpet guides my eyes to a short set of steps that lead to a platform with a gorgeous set of three chairs. The thrones. In the middle chair sits a male figure regal and crowned, I gasp when our eyes lock. The Traveller.

Immediately, I curtesy right to the floor startled with the realization that the Traveller is King Thaddeus Holbrook of Alexandria. What have I gotten myself into?

"Rise, Claire," he greets me, his voice holding an immense authority.

This man before me is entirely different in behaviour than when I had first met him. I slowly stand once more at his order. The room is spinning in a massive rush of information. I keep my head lowered as I stand uncomfortably in the middle of this grand hall.

His steps echo through the bare room as he approaches me. I squeeze my eyes shut, just praying that I will magically appear somewhere else. My heart pulses in rhythm with his steps. No wonder I was treated as a criminal, I had scorned the King. I'm never returning home now.

Like a fool I stutter out apologies, "I did not recognize you, your Majesty. Please forgive my brashness during your travels." My fist clench as I resist the urge to shuffle my footing. Slowly they grow roots grounded by his intimidatingly slow approach.

He chuckles. "It was a mere accident, your apology is accepted," he speaks with formality.

"Thank you, your Majesty." I curtsy, keeping my eyes on his boots.

Again he chuckles, taking a step forward his hand tipping my chin up, forcing our eyes to lock. He is extremely close, just like the moment, he squeezed into the chicken coop with me. His intense eyes are showing humour at my expense just like before. Immediately I look away blushing in memory. My stomach turns as I think of my interactions with him that day. I have kissed the King, I have seen him naked, I have given the King my purity. My face heats with each thought.

"What happened to the fiery woman who snapped at me?" My face tingles uncomfortably, I'm going to be hung for my actions towards the crown. He is taunting me before my sentencing. Of course, I was taken from my home in such an awful way; I am a criminal. A shiver runs through my spine as I come to realize I may never see Octavius again. Never get the chance to say goodbye to my parents.

"She is embarrassed by her behaviour, your Majesty," I confess distancing myself from the person I am by talking about myself as a third person.

"I have missed that unique quality, it hardly ever is expressed around me."

I shiver, "Please, I wish not to be tortured any longer. Why have you requested me?"

Staring at his lips, just watching as if his mouth will tell me an unspoken answer. Morphing across his face is a smirk, he is amused by my forwardness that came from desperation and panic. He knows he is getting to me adequately enough.

"Allow me to elaborate than," he offers and gives a pointed look towards the soldier that had escorted me here.

~ Well! Anyone expect any of that? Honesty please! :) After all this time talking about this beautiful location, our main character gets there ... anyone expect a cinderella introduction? Comment and keep reading! ~