Chapter 8 - Part 1 - A saviour

It has been weeks since I have arrived at Willbridge Castle, anxiously I await my bleeding. My thoughts have become too overwhelming as the timeline passed and went. Yet, here I was still hopeful that maybe we were just wrong with our timing and it would come shortly. Each day that passes as my bleed doesn't arrive my hopes to return home begin to dwindle. Rage burns inside me, I fear for a fate I cannot truly comprehend yet.

Who knows what the King would expect of me, we haven't discussed it. We haven't even spoken since I arrived, I have been left alone. Even though, I am not the King's mistress he still kept his distance. Sending frightened Elli to check on me occasionally when he overhears things that worry him.

After the incident with the Queen, the only person that doesn't snub me on a daily basis is Callum. He will at least smile at me if we pass each other during the day. Visiting routinely at night to play cards. Though I am often in a foul mood, he merely leaves me be claiming I was a typical woman. He never stays watch by the door anymore, the King had relieved him of that duty a week ago. When Callum visits, it is of his own desire to be in my presence, and I much appreciate that I have at least one acquaintance here.

Dinners are served in my chambers, after the Queen's outburst I was no longer welcome to attend the dining hall. The King knew that I needed to eat and didn't wish to offend the Queen anymore with my presence. From overhearing the whispered gossip between servants, I had learned the King has become easily irritated because the Queen has been harassing him.

With the freedom to roam around the castle, I still feel like a prisoner. I am caged inside an isolated environment as my fate is left undecided and awaiting judgement. Everyone avoids me like some plague-ridden monster. Today is different though, today I am summoned to the front entrance.

For the first time in weeks, I step through the main door, Thaddeus' booming voice echoes in welcome. The bright light nearly blinding me as horses neigh, and a crisp breeze of early fall refreshes me, filling me with life. Staring at my feet, I follow the path that leads towards the gates. Horses all wait eagerly to stretch their muscles, as servants keep them still. Dogs prance around under the long legs of the horses, barking in taunt.

Slowly, I enter the crowd of nobles in the grass, intrigued by their union. They are hanging onto every word that Thaddeus shouts. Several people nearby recognize me and slightly shuffle away, unwilling to even be near me. Looking up I see they are surrounding a temporary wooden platform the King has placed himself upon. He wore a tight vest, his shoulders exploded with a long-sleeved blouse. By his hip was a dagger.

Shifting my feet side to side, and crossing my arms to comfort myself from a non-existent chill that haunts my bones when I am in the presence of nobles. Thaddeus's loud roaring voice echoes above the crowd, "Tonight we feast!" Everyone cheers and men pump their fists into the air.

They begin marching away towards the awaiting horses, some men tenderly kissing their ladies goodbye on their way off. Each man mounted a horse and was handed a thick bladed spear with wings of metal at the edges.

Queen Katherine's oddly sweet voice pulls everyone's attention, "Ladies we have prepared a delightful game for all of us in the garden square. Fear not they will return soon."

Many men begin to wave from atop their horses, and their women rush forward waving above their heads in goodbye. I watch awkwardly distanced as the men ride off towards the gate for what appears to be a hunting trip. The dogs charging forward to lead the crowd.

"Right this way ladies we have tea and croquet awaiting us," the Queen ushers us towards the side of the castle like a proper host.

Looking around I'm unsure of what to do. Am I supposed to be joining these ladies? What was Callum thinking telling me to go here? There is no way I will be wanted here of all places, who on earth decided I was to attend this?