Chapter 3 - Part 1 -Aftermath

I ache profusely throughout my body, from exertion. Exhaustion takes over, and I yawn. The blinding light of morning sun tickles my skin. We woke in the warmth of the sun as it returned from the place where the sun disappears, the same place that the Traveller is from. Such wonders I will never see, but one can dream. He is an angel from the heavens; he is from the City.

The Traveller leans over me, completely relaxed. His head is resting on his hand, and he plays with my long hair. This moment is surreal. His eyes shine with satisfaction, and I breathe profoundly overcome by freedom. Nothing else mattered, not the sun rising, my revenge, nor my duties. At this moment, my world revolves around him.

Reality dawns on me, while I hear the calling of the morning roaster. I launch myself forward, frantically tugging at my dress. I struggle to pull it back into place, while the Traveller, lightly chuckles at my panic.

"We have to hurry!"

How could I have been so careless to let time slip by me? The farmers must already be in the fields, and others will be rising shortly. The whole town will be bustling, and I could be found alone with a stranger.

"No need to rush, everything will be fine," he gives an amused look towards my panicked state.

I watch him casually get up, and tug his shirt back over his head. Loose grass falls off his shirt. He acts as though the world moves around him, instead of passing by.

"Are you insane, I just made a gigantic mistake!" I screech, picking at the strands of grass clinging to my dress.

"You wound me," he mocks agony and places his hand over his chest as if he were bleeding.

I narrow my eyes at his dramatic behaviour, "I don't even know your name."

"Yet, I know yours," he taunts me, taking a step closer, and tucking my hair behind an ear.

Once again, I'm left stunned by this traveller. I can't keep my eyes off him, while he walks by me confidently. He acts as if he hadn't just taken my breath away. I watch him, and he begins to strap his sheath onto his side. Was this man always irritating?

"Just hurry up, Harold is probably awake," I snap, regaining my thoughts.

"You're an ill-tempered child after intercourse aren't you?" he asks as we step onto the path out from behind the concealment of the grass, heading towards the blacksmiths.

"What are you talking about?" I bark back.

"Are you always grouchy, after you have laid with a man?"

My jaw drops at his bold accusation, and I'm left motionless. 'After laying with a man,' did he consider me the town wench?

"I'll take your silence as yes," he chortles, and turns his attention, to my frozen figure.

"I've never been with a man," I growl.

"You were a virgin?" he gasps sarcastically.

"Well yes," I mumble and stomp forward leaving a small cloud of dusty upturned around our ankles.

"I noticed," he chuckles out, catching up to match my pace.

"How?" I scrunch my brows together in confusion.

Glancing towards me, he gives me a sly smile, "There are signs."

I stare at my feet uncomfortable with his boldness. How could I have done such a thing, defiling my virtue, with a stranger? Angrily, in a fit of disgust, I stomp off ahead. Stunned by my behaviour, he blinks as I pass. He laughs behind me, and under his breath, I can just barely hear, "you amaze me."