Chapter 5 - Part 2 - Vessel

Immediately, the soldier exits the room shutting the door behind him. The clunk of the door sealing sends a pulse through my already quickened heart rate. I tremble nervously. I am alone with the King.

"Since my time with you, I am unable to forget our encounter," he confesses as a softer smile replaces his cockiness.

I gasp, "Your Majesty, I am all too grateful for your kind words. I don't deserve them."

"Oh, but it is true nonetheless. I was hoping we could assist each other with an arrangement." The king reaches out stroking the side of my face along my hair.

Stuttering from his gentle touch I manage to speak, "What could I ever offer you? Your Majesty, I am but a farm girl from a small village."

"That you may be, but your body is a treasure that continues to distract me. Stay here, be my mistress and I will give you all the books in my library," he offers this unimaginable fantasy.

I had never expected this, but Chadwick had. He knew I was going to be offered this opportunity. He knows the dark desires of men. Though I promised him, I would come back, that may be the only thing keeping him from exiling my family. The torture he could inflict on them if I were to betray him. I need to get back before things get out of hand. For the safety of my family, I must say things that I'm not sure I even mean.

"Your Majesty, this is a gracious offer, but I cannot accept," I stumble over my words.

His eyes widen slightly as if he never expected this, "What holds you back?"

"Our affair, though it was a beautiful experience that I will forever remember, it is not right," I almost moan in agony.

Shivering as the weight of my words pushes on my chest, I am rejecting the King of Alexandria, my king. Is this considered treason? Could I be killed for this? He grabs ahold of my chin firmly keeping my eyes on him as I blink back the tears that threaten to fall. His jaw is tight, as he stares into my eyes watching the pain of my words leak from my lids. I have offended him. His eyes are soft almost pleading, I am right he won't force me, but he will be persistent. He can read my desire as I can his. Still, I have to remain unyieldingly stubborn on my decision.

"Claire, I am King. Nothing I do is ever considered wrong," he scolds me.

"Your Majesty, you are married, and I am to be wed to another man. I already feel like I have betrayed my queen. Please allow me to return home where I belong," I whisper looking to the side. I can no longer take the pain as I reject him.

I have greatly offended the King, and he is barely able to contain his rage. "You realize I do not give second chances. But I am going to ask you one more time," his sounds strained.

"Will you remain in court with me, as my mistress? It will please me, and I will send a decent allowance to your family for their kindness to allow you away when you are needed back at home."

He is bribing me! Chadwick was right the man wants to turn me into his whore. No, I have already become that, but I need to make amends for it by ending this affair. "I am truly sorry that I cannot prove my loyalty to you. Your offer is gracious, but I have promised my betrothed, I will return home after I have addressed your summons. I am humbly grateful," I curtsy deeply, holding my position until he decides my fate.

He turns away from me and paces around the room, I can hear as he loudly huffs in frustration. My legs tremble under my hold. He stops, facing the wall beside us, I hold my breath.

"You're engaged," he breathes almost shocked.

"You're married," I snap back.

He remains silently in thought, I watch as he swallows down the anger raging inside him.