Chapter 7 - Part 2 - Get me out of here!

The creaking of the door disturbs me, and I glance towards the large oak door as the hinges resist. Callum saunters into the library standing beside me, and I finish reading the current sentence of my book. Closing the cover, I place it on my lap, looking up to acknowledge him with a friendly smile.

His smile matches mine, "the King has requested you to attend dinner since you have skipped lunch."

Gasping I look out the window, the bright sun has faded into an afternoon glow. The bookshelves shadows have changed into fiery darkness, rather than light like the heavens calling out to me with knowledge earlier today. How could I have been this dunce? This book alone warns me of the importance to maintain a healthy appetite if you are expecting.

"I'm sorry you had to find me, I honestly lost track of time," I mumble and look down at my book in guilt.

The King is probably extremely displeased with me, no wonder he has summoned me to dinner. I may not be carrying, yet if I am, I have failed to care for his child correctly. He has no reason to trust me with this child. Nothing is going right today.

"No need to apologize, I didn't expect you to wander outside of the library today," Callum's soft voice hums.

Startled by his understanding I look up into his eyes, "Why?"

"Well to start I never told you where the kitchens were," his soft smile turns into a hint of pity, "and secondly your encounter with the Queen must have intimidated you."

I scrunch my eyebrows together, "What do you know of that?"

Sorrow flutters across his features, "Claire, everyone knows about it. Sorry to say, your secret is out. Everyone knows you are the King's mistress."

Rage bubbles inside my veins causing me to abruptly stand. The book on my lap falls with a loud clunk onto the carpet beneath as I clench my fist and face Callum with the full force of my disgust, "How dare you!"

His features morph into confusion, "Excuse me?"

I stand my ground locking my feet firmly, "I am not his mistress! Do not insult me."

He is struggling with his thoughts until his eyes widen in shock, had he finally pieced together the truth behind my stay here? Immense embarrassment has me storming past him.

"Hold your horses, I did not mean to offend," he abruptly corrects himself.

I turn back towards his cold exterior, and he says "It is just a warning as to the rumours that have widely spread."

"How widely?" I squint my eyes in suspicion.

He sighs, "I was stationed at the gates."

My stomach drops as my eyes widen. My humiliating encounter between the Queen spread like wildfire in the fields. The horror.

"I'm a mockery," I cry out, shaking my head of the agony.

Callum remains silent, walking over and picking up the book from the floor. I step forward to grab the book, but he looks at the cover quicker then I am able to move.

His eyes soften, "Come, you need food. A lady should not starve herself during stressful times."

~

Silently, I follow Callum into the dining hall. Intense smells hit me like a wall, roast. I look around for the scent and see the room for what it is, beautifully simple. Windows framed by long drapes trailed endlessly down the long wall. It was almost as long as a hallway but much broader and with a grand table in the center to match its size and shape. Dozens of people are seated comfortably spaced. Callum walks over towards a chair and pulls it out for me. I lift my skirt and slide in as he carefully pushes me forward before stepping away. The room remains silent until Callum exits.

Voices pick up in hushed tones, looking to the side I see the woman beside me staring blatantly. Her face morphs into a scowl, and she lifts her chin in a snubbing manner. This is my fate here, I will always be shunned.

Amongst the constant harsh gossip at my expense, I hear a painful skid from a chair vibrate across the room. It silences the crowd, drawing their attention to the Queen as she now stands her face showing no emotion. Chairs all around scrape across the floor in haste to rise as the Queen appears to depart. Awkwardly late I slowly stand realizing my error.

"Katherine, sit," the King hisses, never once glancing up from his plate as he sits ignoring his wife's behaviour like she was a child taking a tantrum. But this is no child, she is a queen, and her actions are watched and accepted with loyalty.

"I am no dog, I shall not eat with scoundrels," she hisses to our audience.

"Enough of this nonsense," the King scowls his wife. He glances up at her as if he was annoyed by an ongoing argument.

Insulted she turns her back to him, her hair flipping with effect as she storms out of the dining hall. No breath is heard as we all watch in mute horror. The loud thud of the doors closing has me shrinking in humiliation. I sense the movement of everyone as their gazes burn in my direction, several chairs shuffle away from mine as they return to their seats. Not only have I been snubbed, now I have been boldly isolated. 

~Forgive me, it's a short chapter but I think very intense in itself.