Ch 19 The Talk

In commemoration of my first year anniversary of writing on Wattpad, I'm going to finish this story. Hope you have enjoyed this story as I have. The next chapter will be the epilogue.

%%%%%%%

Damon's POV

I had just introduced Soph to my dad Vincenzo, brother Lorenzo, and my sister Nicole. They had shown up from Naples to visit me. Dad was dying of lung cancer and wanted to see me one last time. I wasn't really shocked because dad had been a mean smoker, and it was just a matter of time before it would catch up with him. I asked them if they had a hotel to stay at. They said no, so I offer to let my dad have my room, my sister the guest room, and my brother would sleep on the couch.

I asked Soph if she wanted to go home. She wanted to know if she could hang out with my family. I asked them and they agreed. I told them Sophie was my girlfriend. I was kinda worried how they would react. I didn't tell them about her, not that I was ashamed of her, but then again I didn't introduce them to all of my girlfriends. My sister and brother met Sydney once, and it was an understatement that they hated her.

Nicole was glad that I was no longer dating Syd and my brother thought Soph was lovely and kind. The only one I was really concerned with was dad. We weren't really close, even when mom was alive. I guess his approval didn't really matter because he would be dying soon, but I wanted Soph to at least know my family.

Soph offered to make dinner, and told my family and I to chill on the couch. We were watching movies and catching up on old times. My sister Nicole had finished her medical degree and started interning as a doctor. I told Lorenzo and dad that business at the restaurant had been going well. Lorenzo had opened several successful night clubs. He even got engaged to a childhood friend of ours named Rosa. Hopefully the good luck would continue toward dinner.

Sophie called us to the table. Lorenzo graced the food, which all smelled delicious. She had made homemade lasagna, a crisp green salad, garlic bread, chicken and broccoli alfredo, and an apple pie. It tasted delicious! We were all surprised that dad scarfed down the food so quickly. But I guess that he would since he hadn't been eating a lot lately.

After cleaning the dishes, Nicole and Soph were gossipping on the couch, Lorenzo was talking to his girlfriend, and dad was in the room napping. Around 8 pm, Soph asked me to take her home. The drive was silent. I asked her if she wanted me to go inside with her and relieve some stress. She winked at me and told her not tonight, and that it wouldn't be a good idea to ditch my family for sex. She kissed me, told me to drive home safe, and make sure my dad was okay.

I drove back home and went to take a shower. I got dressed in a black tank top and some boxer briefs. I went in to check on my dad. I found him staring at the ceiling. I asked him if he was okay.

I asked him, "Are you okay? Are you in any pain, dad?"

"I'm fine, boy. I couldn't sleep. I was thinking about your mom."

"Do you think she's okay up in heaven?"

He laughed and said, "Let's hope she's in heaven. We don't know where people go when they die. But wherever she is, I think she's doing okay." He smiled then continued, "I can hear her now just saying, 'Vincenzo, how dare you say that?! Oh course I'm going to heaven! You should worry where you're going!'"

We both laughed and just stared off into space. My mom sounded a lot like what Soph would say. I'm pretty sure my mom, if she was still alive, would have loved Soph. My dad grimaced.

"Are you sure you're okay?"

"Yes!" My dad said. "I just have gas. Too much lasagna! Your girlfriend sure can cook. What's her name again?"

"Sophie," I said.

"Well give my compliments to the chef. She seems nice. How long have you known her?"

"A little past six months."

"Do you love her?"

"I don't know, dad."

"Liar! You don't smile around a beautiful woman that much without feeling something for her. I understand you wanna take things slow since you and she don't know each other very well, but life is short, son. Just look at me! Used to be a big fucking bull of a man, now I'm wasting away. I have nobody to blame but myself for those cigarettes, but I don't regret the life I had. I had a gorgeous wife, three good kids, a bunch of successful restaurants. Nothing to complain about. You know, many men would find some reason to regret life- bitch about how their woman may not fuck 'em enough, or how they don't have enough money for shit. Damon, I never felt that way. And I hope you don't feel that way, neither. Lory and Nicky told me about that prostitute whore of an ex you had. She was wrong. Dead wrong for you. But this Soph, she seems good enough for you."

"Dad-"

"Damon, listen. I know you were probably worried that I wouldn't like Sophie because of her being black. That has nothing to do with anything. Hell, son, she could have been purple for all I care! But if you love her, that's all that should matter. I'm not long for this world, we all know this! But before I die, I just wanted to make sure that my kids are all okay. Now that I know, go ahead and live your life. Even if you don't marry Soph, marry someone you love. Just do me a favor."

I start crying. "What dad?"

"If you have a son, name him after me."

We both laugh and dad goes to sleep. I pat his head and assure him that I would fulfill that request. I don't know if Soph is the one, but if she was, I would say God has blessed me with no regrets.