Party

Sharna paced the floor of the apartment, her fingers were fidgeting at her sides, trying to relieve her nervous energy. Her hands went to smooth down her skirt as she kept pacing. Sharna could feel her lips cracking under the layer of liquid lipstick she had over her lips.

Why was she even this dressed up? She had nobody to impress. She hadn't had anyone to impress since he left her.

"Shar, let's go!" Her friend, Peta, called as she knocked on her door. Sharna picked up her clutch and headed out the door. "Ooh, look at you!" Peta exclaimed.

Sharna forced a smile, and followed Peta down the sidewalk she came from.

Why was she even going to this party? She wasn't even in the cast of the show this party was for. But Peta was. That's why she was going. For Peta. To celebrate the opening of the show Peta was in.

But you know who was else in that show? Val.

Peta stopped mid-walk and turned to Sharna. "You're all dressed up because you know Val is going to be there, aren't you?" Sharna's eyes dropped to her feet. "Shar!" Peta whined. "You've got to get over him. He slept with someone else. He had a showmance. He cheated on you. You did nothing wrong."

"I am over him." Sharna said. "And no, I'm dressed up because I like dressing up. I'm going to support you. This is a great show, and I'm so happy that you get to be in it!"

"Sure?" Peta asked.

"I'm sure."

The two girls continued on to the party, and right as Sharna walked in, she locked eyes with the one person she didn't want to. Peta "conveniently" got into a conversation as Val made his way over to Sharna. "Hey." He said.

"Hi." Sharna responded, forcing herself to make eye contact with him. "Congratulations on the show."

"Thanks. You look gorgeous tonight." Val smiled.

"Thank you." Sharna smiled back. This was the most awkward conversation she had ever been a part of.

And so was the rest of this party.

~~~~~

After the party, Sharna had gone home. She had long gotten out of her dress and makeup, and was now just laying wide awake. She rolled over to her other side and picked up her phone. After taking a few deep breaths, she clicked on the one contact she should've deleted, but never actually did. She couldn't bring herself to it.

Sharna: I miss you.
(2:54 a.m.)

Val: I miss you too.
(3:11 a.m.)