Social Clues

"Valentin, come here, I need to talk to you." Sharna said as she approached Val.

"Sure, Darling, what's up?" He accepted the glass of water she handed to him.

"So...I things are getting really serious with Travis and I, and he asked if I we wanted to truly establish a relationship, so, I'm here to ask your opinion of him before I give him an answer."

He was touched by the fact that she wanted his opinion.

"Well, Love, you want my honest opinion?"

"I hope you're always honest with me."

"I am, I am." He laughed. "But, honestly, Sharna, I don't think you should pursue this with Travis, seriously."

Sharna's face went flat. "Why? I mean, I respect you opinion, but why?"

"Sharna, have you not been picking up the cues?"

"What do you mean?"

"He never puts his arm around you, or ever holds your hand. He never says "please" or "thank you" to you, or anyone for that matter." Val shook his head and put his hand on her shoulder. "He treats you like a maid, Love. He always calls you, 'Her' when talking to anyone. Never 'Love' or 'Darling' or 'Dear', or 'Sharna' for that matter! He never looks you right in the eye, he never gives you passionate kisses, trust me, you can tell that they aren't passionate."

By now, tears started falling down Sharna's face. Not because of what Val said or anything, because everything was making sense to her.

"I've seen how he pushes you around, Sharna! I've seen all of it! He treats you like you're just disposable, he doesn't love you. Please don't pursue this! I don't want to see you hurt, Babe."

She nodded. "Thank you, Val, really."

"Of course. I want you safe."

~~~~~

Nights later, it was three a.m., and Val got a call.

Sharna.

"Come on, Chmerkovskiy, pick up." Sharna mumbled.

"Hello?" Val asked, obviously sounding tired.

"Hi, Val. I know it's late, but could you pick me up? I couldn't ask Peta, not for something like this." It was crystal clear that Sharna was sobbing.

"Why? What's going on? Where are you, Babe?"

"I'm at 9th and 13th, by a Starbucks, I'm just sitting on a bench."

"WHY THE HECK ARE YOU ALL THE WAY AT NINTH?!"

"You don't want to know."

"Sharna, Babe, just stay put, I'll be there in ten."

"Okay, thank you, Val, really. I'm sorry I had to wake you up."

"No, Love, stop apologizing."

All he heard was sobbing from her end of the line.

"Baby, would you like me to stay on the phone?"

"Yes, please, I'd feel safer."

"You got it."

Throughout the car ride, Val would just kind of hum the tune of whatever song was on the radio to Sharna, because music always calmed her.

Val pulled up and screeched his tires as he whipped around to the bench Sharna was at.

"Thank you so much!" Sharna fell into his arms.

Her tears quickly drenched Val's shirt sleeve, but he didn't mind.

"Babe, Babe, of course. Come back to the car, tell me what happened."

Sharna got in and buckled her seat belt, her sobbing had slowed down by now, but she was still crying.

"I-I told T-Travis that i-it just was-wasn't going to work o-out, and, and w-we got in-into a big f-fight, and, and h-he w-was thr-throwing s-stuff, and he, he b-broke t-things off and, and he s-said he was g-going to take me h-home, but, but h-he j-just l-left m-me here, here." She choked out through her crying light hyperventilating.

"Sharna, please breathe."

She grabbed onto his hand for support as her breathing evened out.

"Thank you, Valentin, for doing this."

"Of course, Love." He rubbed his thumb over her cheek to dry her tears. "And if I ever see him again, I'll make him wish he'd never been born." Val smiled.

"Thank you for saving me." She tucked her head onto his shoulder.

"Sharna, really, I don't need a 'thank you'." He kissed her temple.

Val pulled out of the horribly parallel parking job he did and started driving.

He put on Ed Sheeran because the music was soft and calming, just the kind of music Sharna needed.

"You passed the exit, V." She said quietly.

"I know. You're staying with me tonight. No questions. I'm worried about you, and you need love right now, so yes, you're staying with me."

"Thank you again." Tears kept coming back to her eyes.

"Anything for the girl I love." He kissed the top of her head as she began to fall asleep against the window.

Once Val got to his apartment, he scooped Sharna up into a bridal carry and walked her inside.

After laying her down on the bed, he went back outside and shut the doors and locked his car.

Back inside, he went back to the bedroom he had put the Aussie into, and laid down with her.

"I love you, Sharna May." He whispered, wrapping an arm around her waist. "I love you a lot more than I'd like to confess."