Instead Of...

"Val, may we talk about something?" Sharna asked, nervously twisting her promise ring from Val around her finger.

"Of course, Darling, I have all day, what's up?" Val sat down next to her.

Sharna took a very deep breath before speaking.

Val noticed her nervous hand movement, so he picked it up from her lap and kissed the back of it. "What is it?" He whispered.

"It's just..." Sharna tried to find words.

"Take your time, Love, you're okay." Val coaxed, seeing her continued nervousness.

She took one more breath and began talking. "I'm scared that instead of you waking up next to me and kissing my nose, instead of that, one morning, you're going to actually look at me. You're going to see how acne littered my face without makeup is, and messy my hair is before I get ready, and then you'll start thinking. You'll think about how I apologise too much. You'll think about my random bursts of jealousy, and how snappy I get when I'm stressed. Then, without waking me, you'll walk around the corner, and down the small ledge to the kitchen. And when you're in the kitchen, you'll make yourself a mug of the strongest black coffee you have, and quickly realize that there's no reason for you to love me."

Val was baffled that she even thought that. "Sharna, Sharna, Sharna, what is making you think that? I'll never not love you." He kissed her forehead.

"You...you...how could you possibly love me?"

"Sharna, how could I possibly not love you?"