Chapter 8

After your return to Konoha, things were as boring as ever again. You couldn't help when your thoughts kept going back to Gaara. It had been months, whenever he was free he'd come to visit. You would do the same, often making trips to Sunakagure.

Surprisingly no one seemed to realize what was going on between the both of you. Honestly, you didn't really care, you were just unsure if Gaara wanted others to know. So you never mentioned it to anyone. You had managed to keep Naruto's mouth shut with fear.

Whenever he almost made a slip up you'd appear behind him with a deadly gaze. Safe to say he wasn't telling anyone anytime soon.

Lately there had been an eerie feeling looming around you. What was worst you couldn't shake the bad feeling at all, it made you a little edgy, Something had definitely been off though. Tsunade had asked you to survey the area since there had been sightings of a rogue ninja running around. The guy was obviously a minor threat but just to be cautious she asked you to keep an eye out. You were making your rounds earlier in the morning down by the training grounds, smiling when you spotted Lee and Gai working out.

"Lee, Gai-Sensei, Ohaiyo!" you greeted moving to where they had been doing pushups.

"Ah (Y/N)-chan! Being youthful I see, keep it up!" Gai encouraged showing you a thumbs up, now using one hand to balance himself as he did the exercise. It was still pretty early the sun hadn't even risen yet, you assumed that's what he mean't by being youthful. He thought you came to get some training done. Lee looked over at you.

"The more the merrier, please join us (Y/N)-san!" you smiled declining Lee's offer.

"Sorry, Tsunade-sama asked me to keep a look out. Maybe another time." Gai stood from his position looking at you with serious eyes. You had to admit, it was very rare to see Gai with such an expression.

"(Y/N)-san, maybe you should take a break. I'll do the look out."

Lee sprung to his feet protesting. "B-But Gai-sensei what about training." Gai looked down at you. For some reason he looked strangely concerned.

"It's really okay, you guys could get back to training. Tsunade-sama thinks their just some bandits who got pass the gate. Nothing to worry about. You know aside from Shikamaru I'm the best strategist, this will be a piece of cake." You replied confidently striking a pose.

Lee stared at you with stars sparkling in his eyes. "(Y/N)-san is indeed youthful!!"

When you looked back at Gai he still looked worried.

"What's the matter with him."

"Well I better get going see ya guys later." You ran off before he could stop you. Gai watched your retreating form worriedly. "Maybe I'm just imagining things." he concluded.

"Is everything alright Gai-sensei?" Lee questioned wondering why he had been so quiet.

Gai nodded turning back. " Yes I'm fine, Let's get back to it!!" he declared energetically. Lee grinned. "Yes Sensei!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The sun was now starting to rise as you smiled breathing in the fresh air, walking through the village without a care in the world.

Two kids ran up to you taking your hand. "Big sister come quick our cat got stuck in the tree, please help us!!" they pleaded with puppy dogs eyes. You smiled nervously giving in. 

"S-Sure, it's no problem lead the way." They grinned at each other pulling you along down the streets of Konoha.

When they had finally stopped dragging you along you had ended up by a large tree in the forested area of the village.

You looked in both directions when they released your hand. "I don't see the cat, are you guys sure it's here."

"Positive." A deeper voice said from behind you. You spun around drawing a kunai and clashing with the male behind you just before he could strike you with his blade. Both your weapons collided, the sound of metal connecting with each other echoing in the area as you both got into a brawl. He jumped back smirking at you arrogantly.

The two kids had vanished in a poof of smoke before you.

"So they were clones huh."

The ninja before you had long black hair and a similar dark eyes. He sheathed his blade on his back placing a hand on his hip.

"Hello again (Y/N)-san." your eyes hardened.

"What does he mean again?"

Gripping your kunai tighter you charged at him. The first hit was aimed for his abdomen which he deflected easily with his hand, when the the blade fell from your grasps he laughed. You chuckled catching it midair about two inches before it touched the ground. Striking upwards almost slashing his chin. 

He jumped back as it grazed the front of his vest, grounding himself some meters away watching you carefully.

"What do you want?!!" you demanded growing more impatient by the second. Something about was familiar, it made you uneasy. Your eyes followed the sword he had a little weary.

He just chuckled. "It seems you don't recognize me (Y/N)-san, I'm offended. Maybe this will jog your memories."

You watched as he bit his finger pulling out a scroll, running his bloodied thumb against the sheet of paper. It fell to the ground as he stooped pressing his palm to the ground.

"Summoning Jutsu!!" You gritted your teeth as the dust around you raised. Placing a hand in front of you face you tried to see as the smoke started to clear.

A gasp escape you at the large grey wolf that stood before you. It's teeth were bared fiercely. The rogue ninja stood beside it patting it's back.

Horror crossed your face as memories flashed before your eyes at the sight of the animal.

"N-No way..."