Chapter 29 - AWAKE

Start from the beginning

"They're not as bad as everyone else." She whispered. "We were at practice when I got your message, Percy... They're all worried."

"Why? As far as I know, they hate her."

"Not them. They care about her, too. They're scared. So am I." Piper sighed, breath quivering. "What happened? All you said was that Annabeth was dying..."

"They think she tried to commit suicide. Took a whole thing of sleeping pills... I don't know why, other than the fact that her dad fell from their apartment window. She had bruises on her wrists, cuts on her hands... She was covered in blood... I think her dad attacked her. I think he tried throwing her from the window." Percy sighed. "I mean... He can't hurt her anymore, he's... He's dead."

Piper covered her mouth with a whimper. "Where's she gonna stay?"

"With me." They looked over to see Athena Chase walking up. "Thank you for letting her stay with you, Percy, but she can stay with me now. So long as she wishes too, that is." Athena sighed. She looked like she was barely holding herself together. "Judging by you both being out here... I suppose that no one knows how she is?"

They nodded simultaneously. Athena sighed and went to sit down, chewing on the nail of her index finger. Annabeth did that to, sometimes. Percy had helped her tone it down, gripping her hand as tightly in his own as he possibly could without injuring her, so that she wouldn't be able to do it. It was always on her dominant hand, her pointer finger. Never her left hand. Never any other finger nail. Always the same one.

Percy sighed and looked up as the nurse returned. "She's awake annd she's asking for a Percy Jackson?"

"That's me." He said, breathing heavily. "Is she okay?"

"Physically, she is fine. Mentally... That is to be seen. I'll give you a few minutes to visit her, but then the police officer will want to ask her some questions."

Percy nodded, and the nurse led him to Annabeth's room. He was almost running. He stepped into the open door, to see his girlfriend sitting there in a daze, silent and staring. Percy moved forward and sat beside her, taking her hand. Annabeth jumped, eyes wide and scared. She relaxed with a sigh, then tensed up again, tears blooming in her beautiful eyes like raindrops in a raincloud. Percy kissed her. Annabeth whimpered, visibly surprised. He broke away. "I'm so glad you're okay." He whispered, voice low and deep. "I was so scared."

"I"m sorry."

"No, no, don't be, baby." He shook his head. "It's fine. I promise."

"You're crying." She whined.

"Of course I'm crying." He laughed jokingly, tears on his face. "I've never felt so relieved, Wise Girl."

She laughed softly. "I love you." She mumbled quietly.

"I love you, too." He hugged her and nuzzled her neck, kissing her skin. She relaxed against his chest, leaning into him. Annabeth closed her eyes. "What happened?"

"My dad came home when I was alone, tried throwing me from the window..." She whimpered. "I caught on the broken glass with my hand. It's how I cut my hands." Annabeth sighed. "I managed to get away from him... I tried to get him back inside when he slipped, but he said he'd rather die that live in the same world as me... He let go, and my hand slipped. I couldn't hold on. There was too much blood on my hands."

Percy cradled her to his chest, kissing her forehead, sighing softly in worry. "You don't have to worry about him anymore, baby. Your mom's here, your dad's... Gone..." He kept hsi voice low. "You have me, Piper, the girls from the softball team."

"Who all's here?"

"Your mom, Piper, the girls from the softball team, me." Percy ran a hand through her long, curly, blood matted hair. She sighed softly.

"I'm sorry for scaring you."

"I told you that It's okay, Annabeth." He promised her, holding her hand in his. "All I care about is that you're alright."

"Mostly right." She mumbled. Percy rolled his eyes jokingly and kissed her lips. "Can I go home?"

"Not yet, I'm afraid." They looked up simultaneously as the police officer who spoke to Percy earlier entered the room. Annabeth shrunk a little, and Percy straightened up, holding her close to him. "Mr Jackson, may I speak to Miss Chase alone, please?"

"Uh..." Percy hesitated. Annabeth pleaded with her eyes desperately, looking terrified. He couldn't exactly tell a police officer no. "Sure..." He mumbled quietly, before whispering in Annabeth's ear. "I will be just outside the door. I promise."

Tears welled up in her beautiful eyes and he frowned, closing his eyes, hugging her. Slowly, he pulled away from her and left the room. He stood just outside the door, listening to everything the best he could. He could hardly hear anything, that is, until Annabeth started screaming. Percy tried the door, but somehow it had been locked. It wouldn't budge. "SECURITY!" He yelled, struggling to open the door. Annabeth was still screaming. His pulse raced, and he slammed his side into the door. First Annabeth's bedroom door, now the hospital door... His shoulder would never be the same.

The door shook, and Percy slammed his shoulder into the door again. It burst open, and Percy fell forward, onto his hands and knees. Annabeth was struggling with the police officer, his hands gripping her arms, his knuckles white. "Let her go!" He yelled, rushing to his feet.

The officer released her arms with wide eyes, before grappling for the taser at his hip as Percy pulled Annabeth to his chest. Luckily, Percy's cry for security had gone noticed. 2 tall, burly security officers entered the room, pulling the officer's arms behind his back, cuffing him. Annabeth lay crying and sobbing in Percy's arms, shaking like a leaf. "It's okay." He promised. "He can't touch you now. He won't touch you, I promise." Percy kissed her forehead, holding her in a tight embrace, never letting go.