Chapter 57: Three Assholes of History

~My POV~

*Monday, 11/12/12*

My alarm had gone off at seven for school. I haven't been feeling all that good since yesterday. I was sniffling yesterday, and now I have a pretty bad sore throat. "Oh fuck, I hope it's not the flu." I said with a raspy voice.

Despite being sick, I got up and took a hot shower. The steam the hot water was producing was easing my cough and sore throat, which made me feel better enough to go to school.

Since I'm feeling kind of sick, I decided to dress more comfortably for school. My black joggers and a black baggy t-shirt. I wore my usual converse shoes, and black jacket.

Casey came inside to confirm that I was ready for school. She noticed that I was sick because I was sniffling in front of her. "You wanna just stay home today?" She asked me, looking worried. I shook my head. Even though I would love to stay home, I don't want to use up all of my allowed absences. I've already been away from school for too long. I mean, I couldn't careless about school, but I don't want to repeat eleventh grade because of some absences.

"Alright, but if you feel worse, just go home or something." Casey suggested. I nodded. "Alright, let's just go." I said back.

Maddi and Becca were waiting downstairs this time. They were talking to each other while holding their boards. They looked at me and Casey as we went down the stairs. I was coughing all the way down, which made them look worried. "You okay, Ash?" Becca asked me. I shook my head. "No, I think I have a cold or something." I said back. Becca tried to block the way down the stairs with her body. "Look, just stay home today. At least this time you have a valid excuse." She joked. I laughed with her. "Yeah, a lot of the other times I just didn't feel like going. But I can't waste my absences anymore." I explained. Becca just nodded and let me come downstairs.

"Okay, but I'm walking you home if you get worse today." She insisted. I picked up my board and led everyone outside.

It was a little colder than usual. It had to be about forty degrees today. If it gets just a tiny bit colder, it might start snowing. I hope it does. Maybe then they'll send us all home early.

We skated the streets in the blistering cold. We made sure to put a few extra layers of clothing on just in case it got colder. I never really minded the cold. I could be shivering to my death and I would still rave about how good it felt.

Skating to the school as fast as we could made our bodies warm up a little more. I was still shivering, but putting in that much exercise was enough to keep me from dying of hypothermia.

By the time we got to class, our cheeks were red like tomatoes. Mark looked at us as we walked into the classroom, and had us sit in the front again. I frowned at him. We noticed that those kids are in our seats again, which really made me pissed. "Mark, sitting in the front won't change our grades. We're still going to fuck around and not care." Maddi told him.

Mark just smirked. "Not this time. I'm going to have you guys stand by the board and give the lecture. Maybe you'll even learn something from it." He said back. I smacked the desk with the palms of my hand. "You can't make us do that!" I yelled, coughing afterward. My cold is already getting worse.

Mark didn't seem to hesitate giving us this responsibility. He handed us a packet and made us get started. "I want to fucking kill him, Ash." Maddi said to me. The whole class was silent as they watched the three of us prepare for this forty-three minute lecture. I was really sick, so I was going to try and wing it.

Mark sat in my desk and watched us give the lecture. He has this smug smile on his face like he was getting back at us for something. I'm sure he's just trying to have us learn something to increase our grades, but we couldn't honestly careless about that. I'm happy to maintain my D- average.

"So, once upon a time, there was a group of assholes inhabiting Britain. They decided one day that they wanted to give the Native Americans a hard time by invading their country." Mark's smile faded as I gave this story. We were learning about British rule over America or some bullshit.

"I don't know a whole lot about this bullshit story, but all I know is that Britain back then was full of assholes. They're the reasons why America decided to go to war with them for independence. If Britain hadn't placed taxes on everyday American goods, none of this shit would've happened." Maddi continued, making Becca and I laugh. Some of the students were even laughing about it. Mark wasn't at all amused. I shot him a mean look. "Hey, at least we're learning something, right?" I commented.

"So anyway, the Boston Tea Party happened and shit. That's where a bunch of people in America were on some boat and they were dumping all of the tea into the water. See, it wasn't like any old tea party that you'd see two year olds have in their bedrooms. This was the real shit. The Boston Tea Party was an icon during the seventeen hundreds or whatever the fuck time period it was. Fuck if I care." Becca said. Maddi and I were laughing our asses off.

Mark still didn't look amused, but he didn't stop us from presenting. I guess he really wanted us to give our version of it.

I flipped through the lecture packet and smiled. "Well, I guess that's it. Nothing else will be on the test, so nothing to worry about." I said with a grin. Mark frowned at us even more. "Girls, you're far from being done." He reminded us. I just shrugged. "Well, we don't care about anything else in this packet, so I say we're done." I said, dropping the packet to the floor.

I sat at Mark's desk while Becca and Maddi sat in their seats. Mark waited for me to continue with the lecture, getting madder by the second I refused. "What's wrong, Mark? I taught everyone about the wonders of America under British rule." I said in defense. Becca just laughed again. "I'm going to pass this test!" Maddi cheered. The other students were chuckling under their breath.

"Alright, fine." I said, getting back up. On the screen, I went to the next slide and flipped the page on the packet to gather the notes. "The British assholes decided to tax some of the everyday shit that we Americans can't live without. Sugar, tea, printed documents, stamps, pretty much everything. This was because those British mother fuckers believed that we Americans owed them for the forces they sent our way to fight against Native Americans or some shit, even though Native Americans were here first and they were only claiming back what was theirs." I said, rolling my eyes. Becca smiled and clapped her hands. "Good story!" She called.

"We, being the American badasses we are, decided to tell those stingy British bitches that we don't want to pay any taxes for a war that the Americans fought. Yeah, they sent troops our way to aid us in the wars, but whatever. Fuck them. So therefore, the revolutionary war happened, and we Americans can shoot fireworks in the air every fourth of July to celebrate our freedom away from those damn British." I concluded. I then did a slight bow and took my seat into Mark's desk chair.

Maddi and Becca clapped and cheered. "Yay, I feel like I've actually learned something today!" Maddi said. Mark looked at her and rolled his eyes. "Great." He said sarcastically. He got up from my desk and went to the board to give us the lecture "properly". I took my seat again and texted away on my phone.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Website where artwork was acquired: https://www.pinterest.com/pin/340866265528437392/