Chapter 7: Skateboards And Cigarettes

TRIGGER WARNING: depression, suicidal thoughts, family abuse, and self harm will be present in this chapter. The text in bold will specify the content.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~My POV~

We were sitting at a table in McDonald's eating our food. I ended up spending just over twenty dollars on everyone's food, but who cares? We deserve it for everything we've gone through. Everyone ordered a ten piece chicken nugget meal.

While the four of us ate, we saw Mark come into here. I almost choked on my food when I saw him. "Guys, look!" I whispered. Casey and Maddi turned to him and gasped. "Shit, he's here!?" Maddi said, almost too loudly. Mark looked in our direction and all of us, including Courtney, kind of hid our faces. I don't want him to speak to us.

I finished the last of my food, grabbed my board, and walked out with everyone. Maddi and I took out a cigarette from my pack and lit it up outside. "Let's go to the park, guys." I said. Through the window, I saw Mark staring us down. I ignored it, jumped on my board, and began skating to the park with everyone.

Everything in town seemed to be dead today. I mean, it's Wednesday, and you would expect people to be coming home from work at this time, but there was absolutely no traffic. That made our venture pretty easy, though. We got to the park within twenty minutes instead of a half an hour.

While Courtney was playing with some of her friends on the playground, Casey, Maddi, and I were smoking cigarettes. Whenever our parents come home from their three day weekend away from kids, they always stress us out to a point where we smoke up to two packs a day. Casey started playing some emo music on Pandora while we smoked. A lot of the stuck up kids stayed away from us because we were "too scary" or whatever.

Thirty minutes had gone by, and a navy blue car parked near where we were sitting. As the figure got out of the car, we saw Becca skating up to us. "What's up, bitches?" she said as she jumped off of her board, almost falling. I laughed. "Shit, don't kill yourself." I joked, taking a hit of my third cigarette. Becca had a cigarette in her hand too. "I'm aight, though." she told us. I stood up next to her and rested a foot on the edge of the seat. We were all wearing black clothing now. Whenever we don't go to parties, this is our typical everyday wear. Nothing but a bunch of black layers. Our clothing is as black as our futures.

While we were just laughing and shit, the figure started walking our way. From the corner of my eye, I kind of recognized who it was, but didn't acknowledge it right away. Becca was telling us what happened when she got home today. Her parents were home, but didn't even say hi to her. "Wow, your parents really are a set of faggots." I commented. Becca nodded in agreement. "Yeah, fuck my parents." she said, inhaling the smoke of her cigarette. As the figure got closer, I became pretty anxious and started taking longer hits of my cigarette.

Becca showed us the designs she has underneath her skateboard. "My cousin got me a new board today when I got home, and it's fucking badass. Just look at it!" she cheered. The design was a series of white and purple skulls with a black background. It really did look awesome. The design under my board was just a black skull, and the text underneath the skull says, "Better off dead." I think Casey and Courtney's boards are just standard boards with no designs. I saved up enough money to buy a customized board.

The figure finally reached us, and he did not look too happy. "I thought that was you at McDonald's." he said with his arms crossed. Becca gave me a weird look. "Wait, I thought you ate at home." she told me. I shook my head. "I'll explain later." I said back. Casey, Courtney, and Maddi nodded at her. Becca gave me a weird look. "Why, did something happen at home again?" she mumbled to me. I looked at Mark, and then whispered in her ear. "Made dinner for the whole family, but our parents ate it all. Had to steal money to buy McDonald's for us." Becca jerked her head away and gave me an outraged look. "Are you fucking serious!?" she whispered back loudly. I nodded. Mark was just standing there all confused. "What's up, Mark?" I said with my arrogant smile. He frowned. "Mr. Fischbach, and you're smoking?" he said, pointing at my cigarette. I nodded and took a hit. He slapped his hands to the sides of his legs. "Do your parents know?" he asked almost loud enough for the neighborhood to hear. I laughed and nodded. "Yeah, they don't care, dude." I said.