Chapter 39: Back To The Daily Grind

~My POV~

*Same day, 5:55am*

Casey decided to stay home so she can keep an eye on Courtney. I went out to meet everyone at Starbucks. It was going to take a bit to get there since I have to skate into town. I brought the note along with me to show Maddi and Becca.

About thirty minutes later, I arrived at Starbucks. We agreed to meet there by 6:00, but I got caught up with something back home. Becca and Maddi were sitting in the back of the store drinking their Frappuccinos. I ordered one as well and headed back there. They saved one of the arm chairs for me. They were slumping in their seats all tired-like. I did the same thing after saying hi to them.

"Did your parents leave a note under your mat too?" Becca asked me, holding a folded piece of paper in her hand. I looked at it. "Shit, what does yours say?" I asked her, sipping on my Frappuccino. We all switched notes so we can read them. I got Becca's first, Maddi got mine, and Becca has Maddi's.

Becca's note: Rebecca, your dad and I will be out of town for a while. We're not really sure how long we'll be gone, but we'll let you know when we're on our way home. We love you. Mom.

I frowned when I read her note. "That's weird, she basically said the same thing to me." I pointed out. Everyone finished reading their notes and nodded. "Yeah, that is weird." Maddi commented. We alternated again to where I had Maddi's note, Becca had my note, and Maddi had Becca's note.

Maddi's note: Children, we have some business to take care of in Costa Rica with Mauricio's mother. We're not sure when we'll be back, but we'll call when we know the exact date. We love you. Mom and Dad.

My face saddened after reading that note. It's fucking weird how all of our parents randomly decided to leave town. I wonder who was looking after Kendra and Mireya (Maddi's sisters) when their parents went away. They're only six and five, respectively. They had to have just left or something. Either that, or they got someone to watch them until Maddi came back home. Who knows? I just hope they're okay now.

"I don't fucking understand this. I thought Mark talked to them." Becca said, almost dropping her drink. I slumped even more in my seat. "Fuck, I don't know either. Maybe Mark made them feel guilty enough to skip town or something." Maddi suggested. My eyes opened even more. "Maybe he did. He's probably the reason why they're not here." I agreed. Maddi just nodded while Becca is finding it hard to believe. "I don't want to accept that yet. Let me call my parents today and I'll find out what's going on." she said. I nodded. "Sounds good." I said.

The time to skate to school came around in a heartbeat. We ended up dozing off in the chairs. We woke up to a couple of people talking to one another. When that happened, I checked the time and had everyone else wake up. Now, we're on our boards skating down the street to our school.

While we all talked to each other about the doctor appointment I have after school, we all turned left onto Argonne Road where our school is. "So they're just checking on you today?" Becca asked as she skated next to me. I nodded while maintaining my balance. "Yeah, they're going to make sure everything's out." I said back. Maddi skated next to me as well. "We'll come with you." she offered. I smiled at her. "Awesome." I said.

We made it to school by 7:15. We still had our Frappuccinos in our hands. They were sort of melted, but that wasn't going to stop us from drinking them. The whip cream was still in tact.

The three of us walked in with our boards under our arms. Everyone was staring at us and whispering to one another. I frowned as I looked around the hallway. "Have a good time on Friday, sluts?" one girl asked us. I looked at both Maddi and Becca, and they seemed angered by that comment. We know exactly what they were referring to. The video that Maddi posted. I sighed and dragged them past the kids. "Let's go, guys. Ignore these pieces of shits." I said. They nodded and pushed past everyone. We pushed a few laughing morons against the wall. "Out of my way, bitch." Becca said to the girl that threw that comment at us.

We walked into the history room to Mark sitting at his desk. He was looking down at a piece of paper on his desk while he strained the sides of his forehead with his fingers. He looked stressed out. We didn't bother saying anything to him. We just threw our boards in the storage closet and proceeded to take our seats. The kids were staring at us with grins on their faces. Maddi noticed it and shot them a mean look. "Can we help you losers?" she called, making Mark look up. His eyes widened when he saw us.

"Yeah, tell Ashley she's a heroin-addicted whore." a guy said. I got angry and walked up to him. Becca and Maddi followed behind me. The guy looked scared. I grabbed him by the front of his shirt and readied a punch for him. "You want to say it to my face?" I said, my fist now shaking. The guy's smile faded and his lips sealed shut. I shook him a little bit. "Huh? Come on, say it pussy." I yelled. He still didn't say anything.

Mark stood up from his chair. "Ashley, put him down." he called. I didn't listen to him. I just looked at him meanly and whispered something. "Yeah, that's what I thought. Nothing more than a little pussy bitch." I said to him. I then threw him back into his chair as hard as possible. When I made my way back to my seat, Maddi and Becca threw themselves toward him, threatening to hit him if he said another word.

The whole class became afraid to even say anything to us. The three of us took our seats and faced the front of the classroom. Mark was just looking at us as if he's never seen us before. We continued to stare off into space. "You girls came back." he said toward me. I just shrugged and didn't say a word.

"Yeah, we thought we'd come back to a school that didn't have any interactions with us, but the shit we saw today gave us this strong desire to shoot our brains out." Maddi said to him. The class looked at her, and then at me and Becca. We didn't say anything else. We just had our arms crossed and were slumped in our seats. No one said a word. The whole class fell into this awkward silence. Maddi teared up a bit, which made her look down at her desk.

Eventually, she just got up and left the classroom. "Madeline, wait. You need a hall pass." Mark said, digging through his desk drawer for one. He then handed her one, and she went off. I looked at him meanly. He basically provided her a ticket to go off and kill herself. I know she'll do it, too. There were times where I had to stop her.

I jumped out of my seat and dashed toward her. Mark tried stopping me, but I didn't listen. Becca followed behind me. "Guys, stop! You can't just get up and leave!" he yelled. We didn't listen. We just chased after Maddi. She was running down the hallway toward the bathroom. "Maddi, stop!" I called. She slowly came to a stop. She then turned toward us with the reddest eyes I've seen yet. "I'm sorry I posted that fucking video, Ashley. I think I just ruined our lives. I just want to fucking die now!" she cried, now falling to her knees.

Becca and I went up to her and tried to help her up. When she got on her feet, she pulled us in for a group hug. "Guys, I'm sorry." she cried into our shoulders. We tightly wrapped our arms around each other.

"Look, we were all drunk, it's not your fault, Maddi." Becca said. "The important thing is, you took it down. Where's the proof at anyway? The video wasn't up that long, so it couldn't have gone viral on any other site right?"

"I guess, but these worthless bitches know about it, and they're going to bother us about it."

"We won't let them bug us." I said to her. "If we show no reaction toward them at all, they'll eventually leave us alone. They'll get bored of trying to degrade us."

We were silent for a second. Maddi stopped crying, which was our cue to head back to class.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Website where artwork was acquired: https://wallup.net/anime-girls-fall-coffee/