Chapter 11: Assembly

TRIGGER WARNING: early signs of PTSD will be apparent in this chapter. Read with caution.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~My POV~

*Monday, 10/8/12*

School was now back in session. Becca, Maddi, and I headed to the history classroom with our skateboards under our arms. We were just chatting it up like everything was normal until I saw police tape around the area where Alex's body was. I guess they're still investigating.

We sat in our assigned seats in silence. Mark was sitting at the desk reading a book while the class was talking. The only ones not talking were us. The police tape made the three of us silent. Looking at Alex's dead body brought back the traumatic event of seeing Casey unconscious in front of him. We can't bare it anymore. We almost lost her. Alex I could careless about, but my fucking sister.

Mark looked at the three of us. We were just sitting in silence. My head was looking down at my desk, Maddi was texting on her phone, and Becca was doodling again. I shed a tear as I thought about Casey almost dying. I mean she was alright before the blood transfusion, but without it, Casey wouldn't be home right away. She could've been at the hospital for weeks.

When the class period started, Mark put his glasses on and began teaching us about slavery. This was a pretty easy topic, considering I've learned about it every year since third grade. I wasn't taking notes, as usual. Mark didn't point me out the whole time he was lecturing. He was going to go easy on us for a bit.

In the middle of the lecture, we heard an announcement over the loudspeaker. "Will all students please report to the gymnasium for an assembly? Thank you." The principal said. Mark stopped his lecture and went with us to the assembly. He was walking pretty close to me and my friends, listening in to our silence. We had nothing else say to each other after what happened on Friday. We were okay all weekend, but walking to this class every day is going to be hard on us for a while. Well, at least until Casey heals up and comes back to school.

The whole school was sitting in chairs lined up by our teachers. There was plenty of room in the gym since our school is kind of small. Everyone from the front office was standing in front of all of us. They looked pretty distressed. Probably because of the shit that happened on Friday.

"Good morning students." The principal said into the microphone. "As we all know, we had a lockdown on Friday morning. A student had reported to me that someone came into the building armed and heard a gunshot." The principal seemed very distraught over this. I can't blame him, though. This shit's never happened here before. I'm sure he doesn't even know how to word what had happened.

"Two of our students had been shot. One of them, to my understanding, was being hospitalized. The other one, however, had been confirmed to be dead." Everyone here except for everyone in my class gasped. They didn't see the shit we saw.

Becca's been eyeing my right arm for a while now. She can kind of see the thickness of it under my coat sleeve. I still had that ace bandage on it from when I cut that long cut into it. "Why's that arm thicker than the other?" She asked me. I looked at it, compared it with my other arm, and just shrugged. "I don't know, that is weird." I agreed. She then proceeded to lift my sleeve up, but I stopped her. Maddi noticed what happened too and clued in. "Ashley, you alright?" She asked. I nodded. "Yeah. Don't worry about my arm okay?" I asked Becca in a whisper.

"Ash, please. Just let me see what happened." She insisted. I let out a huge sigh, and let her do her thing. I really didn't want her seeing it because she'll probably get sick, but that'll be her issue, not mine.

Mark had taken the seat next to me after getting tired of standing. I pivoted my body more toward Becca so he wouldn't see my arm. Unfortunately, I felt his eyes on it.