Chapter 40: Joke

TRIGGER WARNING: content involving suicidal thoughts are scattered throughout the chapter. Please read with caution.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~My POV~

We got back into the classroom together. Mark just looked at us weirdly. "Everything alright?" he asked, mainly looking at Maddi. Her eyes were still kind of red and puffy from the breakdown she just had. We nodded. "Yeah, everything's fabulous." Becca said sarcastically. She brought Maddi to her seat while I sat in mine. Maddi continued to look down at her desk with tears welling up. She then took out her notebook and began doodling. Becca and I started doing the same thing. Mark just stared us down for a few minutes until the bell for first period to begin went off.

"Alright guys, guess what?" Mark started. He picked up a stack of papers and handed it to everyone, including me, Becca, and Maddi. "I know you guys weren't here for this, but give it a shot." he said nicely to us. We nodded and looked at the worksheet. I guess this was a pop quiz. Fuck!

Looking at it, it seemed to be about the Roaring Twenties. Why the fuck are we so out of order!? Most teachers I know would just go in chronological order.

Nevertheless, I knew a lot about the Roaring Twenties. I finished the quiz within ten minutes, one minute for each question.

I handed the quiz to Mark at his desk, and then took my seat. While waiting for everyone else to finish, I started drawing random shit in my notebook. Much like Becca, I started drawing suicidal shit. She was doodling right now. Mark continued staring at me and Becca as we drew. Maddi was still working on her quiz.

I drew a picture of me, Casey, and Courtney hanging ourselves from the ceiling with our parents in the background being happy. I shed a tear after finishing it. At the corner of the same sheet of paper, I drew a picture of me with a bullet in my head. In another corner, I drew me slitting my wrists with a razor blade. Just a page of suicidal fantasies.

Mark had been standing over me for the last minute now without me noticing. He observed everything I was drawing as I continued drawing it. He looked over at Becca, who was drawing the same kind of shit as me. Maddi had been drawing little pictures on her quiz without even realizing it. From where I could see, she was drawing a picture of her stabbing herself in the heart.

"I want you three to see me after class." Mark said to me, Becca, and Maddi. We looked right up at him and noticed him eyeing our papers. I quickly closed my notebook. "For what? We didn't do anything wrong." I told him. Mark just sighed and walked back to his desk. I didn't say anything else to him.

The bell rang thirty minutes later and everyone except us three left the room. Mark closed the door and stood in front of us. "Mind telling me what those drawings were about?" he asked, as if he didn't know. I rolled my eyes. "How many times have we told you we wanted to kill ourselves?"

Mark sighed for the third time today. "Even though life seems to be going rough for you guys right now, that's no reason to joke about suicide like that."

Joke.

The three of us cringed at the word "joke". Mark gave us a weird look. "What's the matter? Say something." he said to us. We remained silent. "Joke." Maddi eventually mumbled. Mark turned to her. "You really think it's a fucking...joke." Maddi started welling up with tears. She hid it behind her bangs so Mark couldn't see. I shed a tear again while Becca remained apathetic.

"Is that all you needed us for?" I asked him. Mark didn't say anything to us. He just watched as we grabbed our boards and leave the classroom. "He thinks it's a fucking joke, guys." Becca said with a laugh. I chuckled too. "Oh, we'll show him." Maddi said to herself.

We went to the computer lab for our study hall period. We didn't want to be face to face with Mark for a while now. Not after what he just said to us.

Joke.

The rest of the day passed, and now we're outside in front of the school with our boards under our arms. A lot of the kids stopped picking on us, but there were a few who had no idea what kind of bullies we could be to another. We taught them their lesson, and hopefully they'll stop for good.

While we were standing out here, we all decided to give our parents a call. We said earlier that we'd try after school, so why not?

After a few minutes of listening to ringing, we ended up getting forwarded to voicemail. That put sad looks on our faces and forced us to hang up the phone. "That was a waste of time." Maddi said. I looked at Becca. "As I said before, Mark chased our parents away." I repeated from earlier. Becca sighed and looked down.

We waited for a taxi to pick us up. Casey wanted to stay home so Courtney wasn't lonely when she got back. Becca, Maddi, and I went to the hospital ourselves for my appointment.

Within the next thirty minutes, we got to the hospital. Again, since I had an appointment, they took me in right away. They brought me into the same room I was in before with the same doctor. "Good afternoon, Ashley. How are you doing?" he asked me, shaking my hand. I smiled and nodded. "Pretty good, and you?" I said back.

The doctor started off by doing an ultrasound on me. As he was looking at the image on the screen, he asked me a few questions. "Have you been experiencing morning sickness? Pain? Anything?" he asked me. I shook my head. "Nope, everything's been normal." I answered. He nodded and continued looking around.

After a few minutes, he finished the ultrasound. "Everything looks good. You're in the clear. No babies." he said with a laugh toward the end. I smiled at him. "Awesome, thanks for everything you've done. I really appreciate it." I said, shaking his hand again.

I was dismissed from the room seconds later. They escorted me to the waiting room to Maddi and Becca. They got up and smiled slightly at me. "Everything's alright." I said to them. They smiled wider and hugged me. "That's good news. Just what we needed today." Becca said, hugging me tight. Maddi did the same thing.

We went back home and decided to spend some time alone today. There was shit that we wanted to think about.

I especially had shit to think about. What Mark said today was uncalled for. Us "joking" about our suicidal desires. How the fuck could he say that? He knows I've tried it before. I'd love to see him find someone in the process of suicide. I know exactly what he'd say, too.

"Oh, stop joking. Life's not that bad."

Just can't believe he had it in him to say something so fucked up about suicide. Maybe I will show him. He needs a reality check really bad.

I went into the bathroom and grabbed a bottle of pills. Maybe this time, they'll work.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Website where artwork was acquired: https://www.pinterest.co.kr/pin/853995148066170061/?lp=true