Chapter 12: One On One

TRIGGER WARNING: Ashley is becoming super attracted to Mark. Unexpected sexual interactions may or may not occur.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~My POV~

The three of us were talking to one another while the whole class was chatting it up. Mark was able to see the redness in my eyes, but I played it off like nothing was wrong. "It's okay to be upset, Ashley. She is your sister after all." Mark said to me. I shrugged. "I know, but I'm alright." I lied. "Alex did this to her, and then he did it to himself. Just wish I was able to do it to him." Becca looked at me with a sad look. "The last time I talked to him was at my front door, and he was very sincere with his apology. If I had just softened up and got to know his background more, I probably could've prevented this from ever happening. That's why I claim all responsibility for the shooting."

"But it's not your fault, Ash." Becca said back. "Like I said, Alex was sick and had issues only a bullet could solve." I hated the way she worded that. I mean it's true and everything, but still. I'm the last person he spoke to, and I basically told him to fuck off.

We've been talking about this for the whole period. Nothing can be said or done to reverse everything, so I just accepted this. As long as Casey turns out okay, I'll be okay.

"Okay." I said suddenly. Becca and Mark looked at me wide-eyed. They didn't say anything else right away. They were just silent. The bell for the end of class went off. "Ashley, are you available after school?" Mark asked me. I didn't answer him. He knows I have to look after Casey. Even though she's not in the hospital anymore, I have to make sure she sanitizes her stitches. Then again, I can see if Courtney can just help me today. After all, Mark's been trying to work more independently with me for the last week or so.

"Yeah, I guess." I said to him. Mark gave me an excited smile. "Good. I'll be in the classroom when you come by." He said as he gathered his stuff.

For the rest of the day, I went through the rest of my classes. I'm so used to having Alex sit next to me in my ninth period class, but now all I see is an empty desk. Even though I hated having my personal space invaded, I still missed him scooting closer to me. It's like he was very abusive, but at least he showed enough attraction to where he'd want to sit nearer to me. I don't know. Like I said, him dying was bittersweet.

With more tears running down my cheeks, I went to the history room once school ended. Mark was sitting at his desk, as usual, grading papers. I didn't want to interrupt him because he doesn't spend enough time grading anything. For a few minutes, I just waited outside out of sight. I kept thinking about Alex. I should be worrying more about Casey, but Alex doesn't even exist anymore. I'm so used to having my daily schedule smothered with his presence since he always came over for nine hours every day, but now I'm not as booked. I didn't mind my now open schedule, but I was so used to him coming over. He normally would act possessive in public, but when we're alone, he's not as bad. He and I would mostly play video games together or just fuck. We were doing everything except for talking for long periods of time. Doing that always resulted in a fight.

"Ash, I can see you through the reflection." Mark called as he was grading another paper. Shit. I forgot that there's a window on the door.

I walked into the classroom with an innocent smile. "Sorry, I didn't want to bother you. You looked busy." I admitted. He just laughed. "Nonsense. I told you to come here." Mark said back. He stopped doing his work and told me to sit by him. I pulled a chair to his desk and sat by him. "Are you feeling okay?" He asked as he took his glasses off. God he's so adorable.

"I'm...yeah. I'm..okay I guess." I said, staring into his eyes. He noticed my stuttering and just chuckled. I couldn't look away from him. I've been too caught up on my arrogant bullshit that I repressed my feelings for him. Ever since day one, I've fallen hard for him. I just didn't want him to notice. He probably has a gut feeling now.

"Thank you for everything you've done." I finally said. "Even after the way my friends and I have acted, you stuck with us through thick and thin. And you haven't even been here that long." Mark smiled again. "Hey, I'm always here for you. That's part of my job, and my personality."

I went in for a hug. It might seem weird, but whatever. Everyone else would've given up on me a long time ago. But Mark stayed.

I decided to change the subject. "I'm probably going to drop out of school soon." I said out of the blue. This shocked Mark into a whole new level of concerned. "No, you can't! You'll regret it." He said to me. He was leaning forward toward me. I shook my head. "I regret not dying the other day." I said with a laugh. I showed him the long cut on my arm. Mark got a better look at it. "Holy crap! Go to the hospital and get it stitched up!" He shouted. I leaned back in my chair after covering my arm with my shirt sleeve. "It's scabbed over, so who needs a hospital?" I said with an arrogant tone. Mark just rolled his eyes. "Always acting like the tough guy." He said under his breath.

I got up from my chair and leaned in closer to him. "Well, somebody has to. You're not exactly much of a tough guy yourself." I told him with a smile on my face. His looks are irresistible. Mark chuckled, looked out the window, and stood up. He lifted me up over his shoulder. "Not the tough guy, heh? Well I'm sure I'm too heavy for you to lift me like this." He joked as he moved away from the door. I was laughing and begging him to set me down since I have this fear of heights.

He set me down a second later. "Can you even lift, bro?" He joked. I was just smiling while staring into his eyes. Mark was doing the same thing. There was silence for a minute. He looked like he was repressing some feelings for me as well. Like everything he has ever felt toward me was about to explode all at once.

That's exactly what had happened. Out of the blue, he just pulled me in and kissed me. Actually, it wasn't even a kiss. It was more like a make-out session, like he had just been dying to kiss me. I heard him moan a bit in my mouth as he began tonguing it. Shit, he's really into it.

He eventually pulled back and realized what he had done. "I-I'm so sorry about that. That was unprofessional of me." He said. I was just stunned. I didn't say anything back. He was standing there looking guilty, but what's there to be guilty about? We both clearly have feelings for one another, and I am seventeen, so what's the problem?

The door had swung open. Becca and Maddi had walked in holding their boards. "Hey, you almost done? Casey wants us there." Becca said, looking at us. I looked at Mark, who tried hiding his blush. Becca and Maddi didn't notice anything weird, so I guess he succeeded. "Yeah I'll be right out." I called. They nodded and walked back out. I looked at Mark and smiled. "That was nice." I said to him. Mark let out a sigh of relief. "Yeah it was. This stays between us though. This won't happen again." He responded. I smirked. "Yeah, it probably will." I argued.

I grabbed my board, backpack, and went out the door. Mark stood in the same spot with a huge smile on his face. I haven't seen him smile like that, but I guess I actually have the power to make people happy like that. I smiled back. "See you tomorrow." I told him before leaving.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Website where artwork was acquired: https://www.pinterest.ch/pin/605171268649075750/