Chapter 27: Halloween Feels

TRIGGER WARNING: this chapter is going to touch on subjects involving family abuse, depression, self harm, and suicidal thoughts. The text in bold will specify the content.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~My POV~

Mark finished his lecture ten minutes early today. He wasn't going to assign us any homework today since it's Halloween. He had also collected everyone's group projects he assigned us. This past Sunday, we all just decided to get together and do it. Maddi and Becca came over to my place with some ideas. The project was to pick a time in American history and use a poster board to glue pictures, type up facts about that time period, and explain how it impacted the country. You know, just stupid shit like that. It was an easy A, so we just decided to go ahead and do it.

Mark was pretty surprised to see us with the project done. Since I already knew a lot about it from previous years, we decided to dedicate our project to World War II. Everyone else did something different, so it's not like every person in the class did a topic that easy. Mark looked at the poster board and was impressed. Becca researched some facts about it, I looked up some images related to the event, and Maddi wrote how it impacted the country. "You girls did a great job on this." he commented. He held the poster with both hands and admired the organization, and the effort put into the work. "We did it all within three hours." I said back. Becca and Maddi chuckled. Mark gave us a smile. "Well, you did an awesome job." he said. "I wasn't even expecting you to do the work."

I nudged Mark with my elbow. "Like I said on your first day, don't expect much out of me. At least then it results in happy surprises like this." I said to him. Mark just chuckled.

The bell for second period went off. We grabbed our shit and headed to study hall. Maddi headed off to her second period class while Becca and I went to study hall. "I want to try to get back into the art class." I said to Becca. She nodded. "Yeah, same here. Maybe we can see if Mark will let us see the counselor." Becca said back.

We got into the classroom and Mark was sitting in his desk with his laptop out. Becca and I went up to him. He looked at us and smiled. "What's up, girls?" he said, taking his glasses off again. "Is it okay if Ash and I go to the counseling office? We want to try to get our art class back." Becca asked nicely. Mark looked into our eyes and smiled again. "Of course! Let me just give you guys a hall pass." He said back. He took a hall pass slip and signed our names on it. He circled "counseling" on the slip and handed it to us. "See you guys soon!" He said, now excited.

We walked to the other side of the school where the counseling office was. Becca and I were kind of nervous because Miss. Young probably hates our guts now. I doubt she'll take us back in.

I brought this up to Becca, and she was confident that she'd let us back in. Even though she's a grumpy old lady, she's very forgiving if you say the right words to her.

We got into the counseling office and talked to our guidance counselor about it. We told him how we wanted to go back into the art class, but he told us we were removed from the class because of our disruptive behavior. "Well, what if we apologize to the teacher and she allows us to attend the class again?" I asked him. He just nodded. "Alright, give that a shot. But with Miss Young, don't expect a miracle." He warned us. We got out of our chairs and went to the art room.

Miss. Young has a class right now, but that didn't stop us from coming inside. We approached her with polite smiles on our faces. When we got close enough, she looked at us and almost went crazy. "Ah! It's them!" She screeched. I calmed her down and politely asked her if we could attend her second period art class again. With a loud chuckle, she declined us.

"You girls have made my life a living hell! It would bring me great amounts of peace if you ended up dead somewhere. I never used to be this grouchy. Not until you two came along. If you girls would have just killed yourselves, or just ended up dead somewhere, my life would be very blissful. Everyone's lives would be blissful." Miss. Young said. She took in a breath and sat back in her seat.

Becca and I just stood there for a second more with tears coming out of our eyes. After the shit she just said, we don't even want to be in her class again. She continued to sketch her drawing as we both left the classroom in tears. I mean, we couldn't honestly careless about what our teacher has to say to us, but the shit she said is the same shit we've been hearing from everyone else around us.

Becca and I sat in the locker room that was across from the art room. We both took some razor blades out of our backpacks and began digging for blood. "I normally wouldn't have us sit here and do this, but with what she said to us, I think it's the only rational way to react." Becca said. "Yeah, and besides, our lives suck ass anyway." I added.

I cut a whole ton of cuts into my left arm while Becca cut her right arm. They were just small, horizontal cuts that were bleeding only slightly.

We both finished at the same time and went back to the counselor. He looked at us with a sad face, assuming it didn't go well. "What'd she say?" He asked us. We just shook our heads. "She told us to kill ourselves." I said back. Before he would say anything else, we both left and went back to study hall.

We went back into the classroom and saw Mark's smile. Becca and I looked at him with sad looks, which made his smile fade. "Everything alright, ladies?" Mark asked us. I just shook my head. "No." Becca answered. She then went to her seat and sat down. She continued drawing in her notebook. I pulled up a seat by Mark and told him everything.

"Basically, she told us to kill ourselves." I said to him. Mark's eyes widened in sadness. "Are you serious?" he said back. I nodded, and rolled up my sleeves slowly. He looked worried as I continued rolling them up. Eventually, he saw the cuts. "Ashley, what the hell?" he whispered to me. "Miss. Young told us to kill ourselves, so we just might do that today." I admitted. Mark pulled me in and hugged me. "No you're not. I'll make sure you don't." he argued.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Website where artwork was acquired: https://anime.desktopnexus.com/get/1659260/?t=qu1up4temq1qr85m5sqj2frm035b808ae563a2e