14. friends, just friends - december 1998

Hi! Sorry that it's been 300 years (give or take a few). Life has been pretty insane but I'm starting to get back into a regular schedule!

.

.

.

4 weeks later...

Harry

"Harry! C'mon! I woke you up an hour ago before I went to breakfast! We're gonna be late to Potions!" Harry shot up in his bed. He vaguely remembered Ron waking him up before, but he was so tired. Maybe if he hadn't stayed out with a certain blonde Slytherin until 4 AM... but, that's beside the point. "C'mon, Potter. I grabbed you some bacon and toast but we gotta move it."

"Thanks, Ron." Harry said, gratefully accepting his best friends gift. "Since when are you so worried about being late to Slughorn's class?" He asked, hopping out of bed.

"You think I'm worried about Sluggy? You've met my girlfriend, right? She's gonna kill us." Harry took a bite of toast, handed it to Ron, and took the quickest shower of his life. He rushed into his robes and out the door, shoving the bacon and toast into his mouth.

"Having Potions first thing in the morning is like a crime, don't ya think?" Ron asked him. Harry thought about it. A few months ago he wouldn't have said yes, for sure. But, with Draco as his partner he's not minding it so much. He makes it easy to understand and it helps that they can hold hands or play footsie during lessons.

They got in the classroom as the lesson was beginning, and were instantly greeted with a you two should know better look from Hermione. "We weren't late!" Ron hissed. Hermione just rolled her eyes. Ron took his place by her and Harry went to his seat next to Draco.

"You look worn out, Potter. Up late were you?" Draco smirked. Harry blushed, but smiled at him. He looked at Draco, shocked. Harry very clearly look tired and drained. But, of course, Draco bloody Malfoy looks perfect as always.

"You were up as late as me!" He whispered.

"Yes, but I wasn't late to potions class."

"Almost late." Harry rebutted.

"Fine," Draco laughed, "almost late. Nevertheless, you look extraordinarily worn out. I like it." He leaned in and said directly into Harry's ear. The motion gave Harry goosebumps all over, remembering exactly why he'd been so worn out this morning. He swallowed hard.

"Worth it." He said into Draco's ear. He didn't get a response, but the smirk on Draco's face was answer enough.

.

.

.

The day went on as it normally did and it was time for lunch. Harry was starving considering he had a piece of toast and bacon for breakfast, so he made his way down to the Great Hall swiftly.

"So Harry," Hermione started when they got situated, "How was your night?" He smiled.

"It was- fine. Normal."

"Normal?" She asked, giving him a once over. "Nice hickey." She smirked. Harry's eyes shot out of his head and he lifted his hand to his neck.

"What? Where!?" He grabbed a spoon and tried to look at his reflection. "Hey, there's no hickey..."

"No... but, thank you for proving my point." She said as she took a bite of her sandwich. He blushed profusely and sunk down in his chair.

"Don't know to what you're referring to 'Mione." He said.

"Of course you don't. Should I ask Draco?" She glanced down the table at him for dramatic effect.

"Hermione." Harry warned. "I love you, but- stay out of it, please." He gritted.

"Fine, fine. Tell me in your own time." She sighed dramatically.

Ron looked between his best friend and his girlfriend. "What the bloody hell am I missing here?"

.

.

.

Draco

"So, what's going on with you and Potter? I didn't miss the way you were flirting in Potions." Pansy said. "And, don't bother lying darling. I know you too well."

"Nothing to lie about Pans. We were flirting. That's all we've been doing for months. Since he and She- Weas... Ginny... broke up." Draco looked over at Blaise, saying an I'm sorry, old habits die hard with his eyes. Blaise just smiled, as if saying it's okay- I get it.

Pansy didn't look satisfied. Draco sighed.

"We're... friends." Draco said

"Just friends? " Pansy answered, disbelievingly.

"Yes! Friends, just friends. Nothing more, nothing less."

"Right... totally. I believe you! Except for the fact that you're lying through your teeth and you have an everlasting boner for The Boy Who Lived." Pansy retorted. Blaise chuckled and Draco gave her the evil eye.

"Oh, that doesn't work on me, Malfoy. I know you're lying, but fine. Don't tell me. I'll find out soon enough. You'll slip up and I'll catch you." She rolled her eyes. "I'm going to the library, Blaise?"

"I'm good. See ya, Pans." He said.

"Right, have some guy talk." She smiled, turned and walked away.

"Nothing is going on, Blaise." Draco said when he felt his friend's eyes on him.

Blaise put his hands up in surrender. "Hey, I didn't say anything."

"Good, keep it that way. I've gotta run... I've got to do extra credit... see you later."

"Yeah... sure." He watched Draco walk away, looked down the table at Harry and waited. Approximately 8 seconds after Draco left Harry got up and walked out of the Great Hall.

"Just friends... extra credit. Yeah." Blaise laughed to himself. "Wish I could get extra credit for snogging."

.

.

.

Sorry this chapter was kind of short, the next one will be longer. I'm just trying to get back into the swing of things! Thanks for reading and I'm all for some feedback- just keep it positive! Hate will be deleted!