7. something changed

Draco

Draco was pretty sure he wasn't breathing right, and may never breathe right again because Harry Potter was single and evidently bisexual and likes someone else. Could that 'someone else' be him? Should he get his hopes up?

No. No, Draco. Don't get your hopes up yet. You've been pining for years, (even though you didn't realize it...) so just keep your hopes down until you know for sure.

I mean, what are the chances that Harry actually liked him? He'd say slim to none.

Thankfully, with his sprinting towards the Great Hall, Blaise, Pansy, Millie and Crabbe were headed his way, so he could stop running and tell them the news.

"Draco what's wr-"

"They broke up!" As he said this he was almost completely out of breath so it came out more like "Thhh...eeee...eeyyyyy ..... brrrr-oooke..... u-up...." He had his hands on his knees trying to control his breathing.

"Did you catch that?" Pansy asked her friends as she was attempting to move Draco to the bench by the Great Hall.

"I ....one second...." Draco took a deep breath, "wow... I need to get in better shape. Whew. Okay...They broke up! She-Weasley broke up with him! Harry just told me."

He was expecting his friends to be surprised or shocked in some way, but really they just looked at one another and shrugged like this was old news.

"Did you guys hear me? Weasley and Harry broke up!" All Draco was asking for was a little more emotion. He expected Pansy to be jumping up and down with him.

"We know." Blaise said, eyeing him. "We uh- it's sort of all over school that... well... you and Potter... well, She-Weasley and Potter.... well...." He looked to his friends for help but all of them kept their mouths shut.

Draco was more confused than ever. "Me and Potter...? What in god's name are you on about?"

"There's rumors all over the school that you and Potter are a thing."

Draco's face burned a bright red.

"What... why!?" Draco was more confused than he had every been.

"I suppose it has something to do with the fact that you kissed him at The Bonding Thing, and that neither of you were at breakfast..." Millie said sheepishly. 

"Oh... gods... what must Ha-Potter.... be thinking... oh fuck fuck fuck....." Draco's head was spinning. This is a disaster. I mean he wouldn't mind it if him and Potter had a thing... but if people were going to be talking about him he would prefer it to be true.

"Well... we tried to deny them, of course, but there were already so many crazy things being said... people didn't really believe us." Blaise said, awkwardly. Blaise is a pretty go with the flow person and takes a lot to make him feel uncomfortable... but I suppose it would be weird hearing stories about a guy who you have a crush on with some guy he has a crush on. ...And now Draco was hating himself again for the whole 'Blaise' situation.

"It's not like you don't want to be with Potter..." Pansy said ignorantly. 

"In real life, Pans! Not in rumors people have made up about us! God Dammit! Every time I care about something people find a way to ruin it for me." His friends tried to stop him but he ran off, not really caring where he ended up.

It's all stupid Harry Potter's fault, Draco thought. Him and his gorgeous body... face...hair... Goddamn him!

Somehow he ended up in the library and he wasn't exactly sure how or why but he didn't care at this point. He sat down at an empty table and put his face in his hands. Some time later he heard footsteps but didn't care enough to see who it was.

"Ha-oh Hello, Draco! I was looking for Harry I can't find him...are you alright?"

Draco looked up to see Hermione with a worried look on her face.

"Bloody fine... go find your golden boy." He said, the tone offended Hermione because she said, 

"Back to that are we? Thought we were friends. What is it, Draco? I can help."

Draco looked up. He couldn't talk to one of Harry's best friends about this... no way...

"Is it... about the rumors?" Hermione asked sheepishly. 

"I guess you could say that. I just can't believe that people are so bloody stupid to think that Potter and me are having some sort of sordid affair. I mean, people are thick ... idiots ...and ...and..." Draco was trying very hard to convince himself that the idea of Potter being his boyfriend was ridiculous, but honestly whenever he thought about it he just felt giddy inside.

Hermione was looking at him questionably. It's now or never she thought, just ask him.

"But...you do...fancy him, that is?" She asked, her voice as small as she felt. She has good insights and can pretty much figure anything out... no matter the topic. 

Draco's head shot up so fast he nearly fell out of his chair.

"I-I-I-Well... I-" For some reason, almost every word in the English language was leaving his brain and he suddenly couldn't form a coherent lie to tell Granger that, no bloody way does he fancy Harry Potter, because he does. He really does.

The non answer she got from Draco was as clear as if he would have screamed it from the rooftops. She just gave him a look that made Draco trust her implicitly. Fucking Gryffidors...

"Hermione... please. Fuck! I knew you knew... at the party... you...you gave me a look and I knew... but, Harry does...he..."

"Don't worry about that, Draco. Harry is oblivious to almost everything. Sometimes I don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing." She laughed, more to herself than anything.

"For my sake, definitely a good thing. I-You're-I mean..."

"I won't say anything, Draco. I promise. Your secret is safe with me." She looked at him, warmly.  A look passed between the two of them and Draco knew in that moment that they were... friends... and it was a significantly good feeling. 

"Thank you, Hermione. You're a good...friend." His lips twitched into a smile as he said the last word. She looked up and smiled. 

"So, how... did this happen?" She asked.

"I don't know. Something changed. Everything changed."

She smiled and sat down across from him, pulling books out of her bag. For the rest of the morning they sat in comfortable silence reading and enjoying this blossoming friendship.

Sorry that this is literally a week late!!!!!!! I suck!!!!! And it's so short but I wanted to start this Dramione friendship bc I live for it! New update soon and this one will have Drarry (;