Chapter 24

Austin's POV

Flashback

Grief is like a fire

It doesn't stop it just grows higher

Burning everything that stands in its way

And starting over the next day

There is no way to escape from its hold

Forc all ones hopes have been sold

But as grief, as the fire grows hotter

Someone will save you with a bucket of water

Holding you until the storm Is done

Staying with you until the light comes

"Aren't you going to give this old mom of yours  a a hug,"  I rolled my eyes striding  over to where she stood, by the front door of our three bedroom house. Her eyes looked so alive, her dark circles covered by a thin shade of makeup.

My dads low laugh came from behind me, he pulled both of us together, I instinctively wrapped my arms around both my parents, Feeling  my moms icy fingers on my arm.

She always had cold hands

"That's enough, you two are going to make me cry now," she stated, "I wish you two would come, but I just don't know how Caleb's wife would feel about it, I heard her daughter has had a hard time."

I nodded, breaking free of her grasp. "What's the chicks name again?" My mother smiled in return, pulling me in for a separate hug.

"Brianna, I knew her when she was young, maybe one or two, she was such a sweet girl, her mother took her from her father, I have a feeling that was the cause of her irrational behavior."

" we are so lucky to have such an amazing son like you Austin," my father grinned, awarding him an eye roll from his only son. My mother squeezed my hand, opening the front door.

" you too don't miss me now," she called, we followed her to her little blue car, my father opening the drivers door for her. My mother had never wanted to fly, she always was scared that the plane would crash.

Instead she would drive all the way there.

"Be safe," my father whispered, his eyes locking with hers. She shot him a weak smile, before turning to me.

"Promise you'll go see Caleb every day, and be nice to you're dad, I love you both with all my heart." I nodded, shutting her door.

"Don't die," I stated in a joking manner, she just laughed in response, rolling her window back up, we watched her pull out of the driveway, waving until she vanished around the corner.

The last thing I ever saw of my mother was her shadow

——————

Brianna stood there her eyes pleading with mine, I couldn't stand to see him there, his arms around her. I wanted to rip them away, for everything to go back to how it had been.

I thought Brianna had been the answer, I thought she would feel that empty void that had formed there after my mothers passing.