Chapter Sixteen

Natalie's Pov

My breathe hitched and I repeated the words in my head . Looking once more at the manager for confirmation she nodded .

After searching and searching , don't forget being rejected . I finally got a job . I had given up and came to my favourite coffee shop , Rituals , for a frap and took a chance in asking .

The manager who's name I learned to be Cathy looked over my documents and said I was suitable for the job  . She had a very pleased smile at my reaction as I thanked her and promised my absolute best work efforts before leaving .

Tomorrow at noon I would start .

"Really it's no problem . My father is already filthy rich , $100 isn't a problem ." Kayden said pushing the bill in my hand.

I was required to wear a work pants , which I didn't have and a slack T-shirt . My original plan was the go home and ask Aunt Ruth to borrow money but Kayden insisted that he pays for it .

I declined a few times but truth be it , Aunt Ruth might not even be home and I don't know if she'll actually lend me the money .

"C'mon Nat how will you-"

"Ok !"

"Ok?" He looked totally confused .

"Yes I said ok - When I get my first pay cheque my first duty would be to pay you back ."

He parted his lips to protest but probably remembered how stubborn I could be and settled for my answer .

We maneuvered our way through the semi crowded mall to a small work store . Many racks of pencil skirts and shirts filled the store .

A worker soon came to our help and after flirting with Kayden picked out a pants and plain shirt my sized . We purchased 3 of each and it totaled  to exactly $100 .

Seeing as I'd work five day a week , Kayden offered to buy two more shirts but I wouldn't allow him . But what I did allow was for him to drop me home.....well a few houses down .

Kayden dropped me off a few houses down from mine , the walk was only a minute until I came face to face with Aunt Ruth's modern oak door

Kayden dropped me off a few houses down from mine , the walk was only a minute until I came face to face with Aunt Ruth's modern oak door .

My hands lightly pressed against the doorbell and I waited until I saw the doorknob twist .

"Natalie ! Where have you been." Ricky's calm voice called from the door frame .

I opened my lips ready to speak but was throw back by Aun't Ruth's body slamming into mine . I took a moment to process what was going on when I finally realised it was a hug......Aunt Ruth was hugging me .

"Are you ok ? Why were you at a doctor's house ? Is anything broken ?" Her hands frantically ran over my face inspecting for any bruises .

A soft smile stretched across my face at her concern . I carefully grabbed her wrist and with the other hand , raised her chin to look me in my eye . " Yes I'm fine . It was a simple concussion from a door's impact to my head and the nurse already checked me out ."

Her worry instantly eased and she moved to the side allowing me to enter . Once inside I shut the door and moved to the kitchen with both Aunt Ruth and Uncle Ricky trailing behind .

The smell of freshly baked cookies hit my nose and I had to take a stronger whiff for confirmation . "Oh yes darling - I just made two batches of sugar cookies , come get some ."

Aunt Ruth give me almost a whole batch in my plate and sent me to my room stating that I needed to relax .

I laid flat on my back , shoving cookies down my mouth hole whilst recapping yesterday's events .

"Plaw!" I smacked myself in the head at my absentmindedness . I went to Kayden's house to tell him about project and I totally forgot.

I guess it doesn't matter now as he'll no longer be attending school . The thought of not seeing him again disappointed me but I remembered that he was a bully .

Brushing off my sadness I decided to take a bath with the plans of binge watching all the Netflix series until I get sleepy .

I didn't make it long as after the two seasons of "Anne with an E " ended , I was deep in slumber land .

----
Walking into Rituals I felt my heart speed up. I woke around 5 this morning even though my shift started 12 . I was so excited and anxious that I cleaned the entire house but now as I was finally here , fear was the only emotion .

When I woke this morning , Aunt Ruth and Rick had already left for work and well Aubrey , she was at a sleepover , so didn't get to tell them....no Aunt Ruth and Ricky about my new job .  

The cafe smelt as it usually did , An amazing aroma of caffeine and their famous store made donuts while you heard the loud grinding of coffee beans and the various fraps and smoothie mixes .  

It was such a calm and soothing  environment , It was really a blessing to work here .

I slowed my breathing and walked over to the counter . I waited in line like a customer and once in the front of the line I said the the cashier , " Hi my name is Natalie , um today's my first shift here ." Her eyebrows raised in realisation and she quickly ran to the back , returning with Cathy , the manager from yesterday .

"Oh come on in ." She unlocked the wooden entrance door and opened it wide for me to pass through

"You came right on time . Let's go to the my office so I can check out the application and school papers , then I'll get someone in the back to show you around and you can start from there ."

I hummed in response and followed her down a small hall which had only four doors , "Employee bathroom " , "Janitor's closet" , "Supply closet" & "Manager's office" .    

We stopped at the Manager's office door and Cathy pulled out a key from her pocket and opened the door .

She motioned for me to enter and take a seat and that's exactly what I did . "Ok let's see what you got . Don't worry you already got the job ." She commented on my nervous face ," It's just that these things are mandatory and plus with your school papers , I can see which position suits you best . "

I responded "Yes ." In understanding and watched as she intently scanned my paper. I had not the best school grade but I did have common sense and pleasantry which for sure I knew this job required .

"Ok so you have a good enough performance in maths so you can be an official cashier , but for the first week you'll be learning and practising all the positions . That's incase a co-worker misses work , you can take over his/her shift whether it be cleaning , blending or managing and you'll make their daily salary ."

That sounded good enough for me .

I continued to listen as she stated basic rules of each job . A young red head then came and give me a tour .

I learned that she was one of the blenders and her task today was to show me how to make each drink , all coffees , smoothies/milkshakes and juices .

I watched intently as she made the most popular drinks . She also allowed me to take notes of the ingredients .

After , I tried making a few drinks and to my disbelief they all came out successful .

We continued like that until I was sent over to another female . She was the cashier and explained to me the ins and outs .