Chapter 18 : Make It Work

Elite

I sat in the office, bored as ever, waiting for something to happen. Working for my dad was was not so bad though. So far I been making nearly 6 grand a month and I was surprisingly good at this too. I knew my shit when it came to numbers thanks to the streets.

When it came selling dope, you had to count how much your supply was worth, add your profit up, and proportion that money to everyone equally. So this accounting job was perfect for me.

I was playing with the paper clips a little when Nicole's mom walked in. I was surprised and scared as hell at the same time. I was thinking maybe she came to kick my ass again.

She stood in front of my desk and looked down at me, shocked too. "Hello," She said. "Do you work here?"

I nodded. "Uh, y-yes."

She nodded and took a seat, looking around awkwardly.

"Do you want coffee, water, tea?" I offered. She shook her head no.

"No, thanks," She said, clearing her throat. More awkward silence filled between us. "So how's Nicole and the baby?"

"Good," I said, not trying to tell her that me and Nicole weren't speaking at the moment. "Nicki is in medical school trying to be a nurse and Leigh walking and is starting to babble a lil in her language."

She laughed and then looked down at my finger and saw my wedding ring that I didn't bother removing.

"You two got m-married?" She asked, in shock still. I nodded.

"Yeah, 3 months ago."

She covered her mouth and turned away to hide that she was crying but I saw anyway. I pulled out a couple tissues and handed it to her.

"Thank you," She whimpered, wiping her eyes. "I'm just...really happy for you and my Nicki. I was wrong about Elite. You are a good man."

"Thanks," I said, looking down in shame.

"I'm sorry about what happened the last time we met. It was wrong of me to come at you like I did. I judged a book by its cover and it turns out I was wrong."

"It's alright, I don't blame you," I shrugged. "I wouldn't want my daughter being pregnant by a guy like me either."

"What do you mean?" She asked, raising her eyebrows.

"Look, Ms. Blake, I'm not gonna lie to you. Me and Nicole aren't even talking right now. In fact, I haven't seen her since our wedding."

"But why?"

"I found out that I had a daughter by another woman because she never told me that the child was mine and I didn't tell Nicole about it until our wedding day, which was dumb of me. Now she's living somewhere else with Leighanne and I have no clue where she is."

She nodded, comprehending what I had just said. "Elite, I don't know much about you but I do know that you made Nicole happy. Ever since we moved from New York, you seemed to be the main reason she'd be smiling and thats how I know she loved you. And you clearly love her too if you proposed to her. I know we started off rocky but I don't want you to give up on you two. Because I know for a fact that she loves you still."

I sighed, looking down at my feet. "I appreciate it, Ms. Blake-"

"Just call me Faith," She interrupted me.

"Uh, Faith, I don't think she wants anything to do with me right now."

"You wouldn't know if you didn't try," She insisted. "Have you tried calling her?"