Chapter 4 : MIA

Nicole

"Well?" I asked, looking at Janelle as she held my test results in her hands.

"Well, I'm sorry, Nicki," She frowned, looking at the paper. "But...you passed girl!"

She started jumping up and down and I joined, grinning.

"Congrats, baby girl, you going to med school," She said, as we walked into the college.

"Thanks, Jay," I said, looking at the test results.

"Lets go see what I got now," She sighed, as we walked into Professor Jacobs classroom. He was packing away some papers.

"Professor J, hold up, hold up," She said, walking up to him.

"Oh boy," He chuckled, looking over at Janelle. "How can I help you Janelle?"

"You haven't given me my test grades yet, sir," She folded her arms, sitting at his desk chair.

He shook his head and sighed, handing her a piece of paper. "Janelle, I expected more from you."

She frowned, looking down at her results. "I didn't- pass?"

"I'm afraid not," He patted her back. "But you can always retake it. And Nicole can help you. She's a great student."

He flashed a smile at me, winking, almost in a flirty way.

"Ugh, well, come on, Nick, you helping me studying let's go," Janelle said dragging me out the classroom.

"Bye, Nicole," Professor Jacob called out as we left. I waved and he smiled at me again.

...

Later on that night, I was rocking Leighanne to sleep and sung her favorite song "The Itsy Bitsy Spider." She fell asleep in my arms and I placed her in her crib and laid back on me and Elite's bed.

As I watched a movie, I heard Elite walk in and come straight to the bedroom.

"Sup, babe?" He asked, sitting at the edge of the bed, taking off his shoes.

"I'm just here. How was ya day?' I asked, flipping the channel again.

"It was good, surprisingly. No shit to deal with," He said, stripping down to his boxers. He crawled in bed and wrapped his arms around me. "How was yours?"

"Oh my god, baby, you never gonna believe what happened."

"What?" He mumbled, kissing on my neck.

"I passed my test!"

"Thats good, baby," He climbed on top of me, still kissing on me. I wrapped my hands around his neck.

"So, I'm going to medical school."

He stopped, looking down at me. "What?"

"I'm going to medical school so I could be a nurse."

"You serious?" He asked, raising an eyebrow at me.

"Yes, I'm serious. Why are you asking me that?"

"Nicole," He sighed, getting off of me. "I told you don't have to get a job. I told you I'll take care of me, you and Leigh. You just gotta stay home with Leighanne."

"Elite, seriously? You're gonna tell me that I can't follow my dreams of being a nurse just because you want me to be a housewife?"

"I didn't say you can't follow ya dreams. I'm just saying to wait until Leigh grows up. Till she's a teenager or going to college."

I shook my head, sucking my teeth. "You're unbelievable. Goodnight, Elite."

"Wait, hold up, you not going to sleep with an attitude, Nicki. We solving this shit tonight," He said, turning me over to face him.

"Elite, get off of me," I said, pushing him off.

"Nicki, why you mad?"

"Because I don't want to be just a mother who watches Leigh, cooks and clean and lay on my back for you when you get home. I love Leigh but I wanna start my life too, Elite."

"So you want Leigh to have a mother who is rarely ever there? Who constantly has to be watched by a babysitter?"

"You're barely ever there for her, Elite! I take care of her everyday all day and you don't see me complaining about it to you."

He shook his head with a shocked expression. "Damn, so thats how you feel? We pointing fingers now, Nicki?"

He got up and dressed again. "Where are you going?"

He ignored me and picked up his keys, heading for the door. I followed him.

"Elite, where are you going?" I repeated.

"Might as well go since I ain't never here anyway, right?" He said, going through the front door.