XCVII

ACT XX | SCENE XCVII

WISH

THE FLAMES ILLUMINATED jimin's face with a golden glow as he lit the candles. smiling in satisfaction, he made his way to the bedroom quietly, shutting the door behind him carefully.

jangmi was tucked in bed, back to him. only her hair was visible, spread over the bed in messy brown waves. she looked so tiny. she moved only slightly, tucking her knees and making herself even smaller. a groggy groan could be heard as she began to wake up.

taking soft steps towards her, he began to sing. "happy birthday to you. happy birthday to you." his voice was soft and somewhat low as he approached the bed.

jangmi's eyes fluttered open at the sound of his voice, going wide. she listened for a moment without making a sound, a small smile on her face. "i know you're up, my love." he sang out. she turned around with sleepy eyes that fluttered repeatedly in an effort to blink sleep away.

"hey, birthday girl." he beamed, waiting for her to sit up. "when did you get here?" she asked groggily, rubbing at her eyes. the side of the bed dipped with his weight. "a while ago. happy birthday," he whispered, holding out the cake to her. "make a wish."

smiling, she shut her eyes. his brow went up when instead of blowing out the candles, she began to suck in air. "what are you doing?" he frowned. she cupped a hand over her mouth. "i just woke up. i'm not about to blow my morning breath into the atmosphere and over the cake." she responded. "and your big idea is to suck the flames out?" his brow moved even higher in incredulity, expression one of amusement.

"i woke up less than a minute ago, my brain is still rebooting, okay?" she replied defensively. his lips pressed together as he tried to bite back the smile that threatened to curve his mouth up. "i've woken up next to you countless times, mimi, your morning breath isn't that bad. either that or i've grown immune to it."

"shut up. i haven't grown immune to yours." she scowled at him. he laughed at her expression. "stop hurting my feelings and blow them out." he told her. smiling sweetly, she did as he said. "good," he leaned over and kissed her forehead. "happy birthday, my queen." he whispered. "get dressed. i have something special planned."

"and what's that?" she queried, tilting her head to the side. "you'll see." he chirped, getting on his feet with a cheeky grin. "oh c'mon, tell me!" she called after him. he lifted a hand in a short wave as he walked away from her. "you'll see!"

• • •

rosalie kissed her mother's cheeks again before allowing namjoon lift her into his arms. "happy birthday, mummy! i love you!" she beamed. "i love you too, my angel." she kissed her daughter's forehead. "please take care of her and don't give her too much sweets." she looked at the dimpled man.

"of course." namjoon smiled softly. "hoseok's going to be with me, so he'll help me with her." he assured. "if you need anything, don't hesitate to call. thank you! bye rosie!" she called out, allowing jimin to gently push her towards the car. pausing as he went round to the driver's side, jimin pressed a kiss to rosalie's temple. "papa loves you." he whispered. "i love papa."

getting into the car, he smiled at the woman sat next to him. "you look beautiful." he remarked, taking in the pastel blue bardot mini dress she wore. short and loose with long puffy sheer sleeves cinched at the wrists, it was a cute and playful look.

"thank you." she smiled softly. "now stop staring at my thighs and drive." a smirk slowly curved her lips. laughing, he reached out to squeeze her thigh. she smacked his hand away but he caught the smile on her face.