LIV

ACT XI | SCENE LIV

TEST RESULTS

[five years earlier]
september 2012

THE TAXI ROLLED down the path to jimin's home. she stared at the test results in her hands again. after she began to get nauseous in the mornings and her period was late, she had gotten one of those home pregnancy tests. it had read positive but refusing to believe it as those things were sometimes inaccurate, she'd gone to the hospital. she folded the paper again and stuffed it into her pocket, hiding the words that seemed to glare at her. she was seven weeks pregnant.

it had been forty three hours since she'd found out. and jangmi felt like she was going to lose her mind. she was turning twenty and now she was starting her adult life with a pregnancy. she hadn't had a good night's sleep in the past two days, tossing and turning as the thoughts spun out of control in her head making it difficult to fall asleep. there was a child growing in her and she was scared out of her wits. she wasn't ready for this. her hand went to her belly in attempt to feel for any sign of life inside.

the cab lolled to a stop a good distance away from the large gates. paying the fare, she stepped out and walked towards the estate.

a security guard stepped in front of her when she got close enough. "who are you here to see?" he asked, folding his arms across his chest. "park jimin." she rubbed her arm to try alleviate her nerves. taking in a deep breath, she added, "my name is han jangmi." the guard eyed her before replying. "wait here." she sighed and nodded. he disappeared inside. she shifted her weight from one foot to the other, eyes taking in the expanse of land that the home occupied.

it felt like forever just standing there, underneath the warm sun, waiting. she glanced at her old leather watch. an entirety of twenty minutes had already passed and she hadn't seen any sign of the security guard who had approached her.

it was five more minutes before he reappeared. "mr park has no wish to see you." he simply stated. a part of her had expected it but it still hurt her like he'd just dropped a ton of bricks on her head. "c-could you tell him it's a matter of urgency, please? i need to see him." she pleaded. taking in her slightly frantic state, the guard nodded with a heavy sigh.

he was gone again. she stared at the front gates until her vision began to blur but he still hadn't returned. what could possibly take so long that he couldn't get a proper reply in five to ten minutes? she saw him again after another half hour, walking towards her slowly. "sorry, miss. the young master said he doesn't want to see or have anything to do with you. he asked me to tell you to leave because he's not taking a step out to see you."

jangmi felt like he had lanced her with his simple words. "he wants me to leave?" she mumbled. somehow, she'd thought he would at least see her. the part of her that was still madly in love with him had hoped the jimin she had given three years of her life would want to see her, even for a brief moment.

"d-did you tell him it was important?" she glanced up at the guard, eyes frantic. he nodded, his gaze apologetic as he stared back at her. "i think you should just leave." he said before turning around and walking away from her. she felt dizzy and nauseous, moving quickly to hold on to the trunk of a nearby tree. she took steadying breaths to stop the lightheadedness. but she couldn't do anything about the nausea and threw up behind the tree. she crinkled her nose in disgust, having nothing to wash out the taste of vomit from her mouth.

she was going to wait. jimin would have to leave the house at one point and he would have to see her whether he liked it or not. she didn't exactly want to be there either. in front of the home of the boy who'd promised to never break her heart but did. and was breaking it all over again.