VI

ACT II | SCENE VI

CHOCOLATE CROISSANTS

IT TURNED OUT that rosalie, just like her mother, was not an easy girl to please. if jangmi hadn't been willing to help, the three-year-old might not have warmed up to jimin.

it took a couple of days for the girl to forgive him for ruining her mother's mood and actually not form a cute albeit harsh frown on her face when he showed up. even though she'd accepted the new box of crayons and sketchbook he'd gotten her, he could tell she hadn't accepted him.

the secret to winning rosalie's affection, as jimin came to find out, was chocolate filled croissants or pain au chocolat as jangmi called them. a taste she had acquired as a natural consequence of being born in champagne, france. it was like a catnip to the child. jimin watched as she bit into the pastry, leaving a chocolatey mess around her mouth. the adorable sight lifted his lips as jangmi laughed next to the girl.

"rosalie," she gestured around her mouth with her finger. the girl looked at her with big eyes, blinked and then pouted her lips. jimin's brows went up, wondering why she did that until her mother leaned down and pecked her on the lips, getting chocolate on her own lips.

rosalie giggled and pointed at her mother's face who chuckled as she licked her own lips. jimin watched mother and daughter with avid fascination. jangmi whispered something in the girl's ear and then she looked at him. he blinked wondering why rosalie was staring intently at him all of a sudden. then she leaned forward, toward him and an expectant look formed on her face. jangmi gestured with her hands.

jimin's mouth formed an 'o' as he understood what she was trying to say and he picked up a paper napkin. leaning closer to the child, he wiped the chocolate that smeared on her face off. rosalie beamed at him when he finished, revealing chocolate stained teeth and he returned the gesture before she resumed stuffing her face with croissants.

"you've been accepted." the woman sitting aslant him informed. "when are we going to tell her?" jimin asked. he found that he was already falling in love with the girl. he desperately wanted her to know she had a daddy.

"we need to take things slow. i really don't want to scare her." jangmi replied. she was being cordial but jimin could tell that it was only for the sake of rosalie. he couldn't really blame her.

jimin watched her quietly for a moment. she and rosalie were matching in red lace tops which the three-year-old had insisted they wear as a condition for leaving the house. it was really adorable, if he was being honest.

her hair flew around her face in the wind outside the french cafe they were at. she repeatedly tucked her unruly hair behind her ears, clear annoyance etched on her features. she looked just like he remembered as though she hadn't aged a day in five years.

her eyes moved from rosalie and came to land on him again. "does your family know?" she asked, keeping her voice low. he shook his head. "not yet. i'm not exactly versed with the finesse that is involved in informing your parents that they are grandparents to a four-year-old girl."

jangmi pressed her lips together in a thin line. an array of emotions played across her face but the one he could read as her brows knitted together was concern. he was aware of the reason for it. his parents would not welcome this news with open arms and smiling faces. he was apprised of the fact that his father's first concern would be how the scandal will affect their family reputation and the business in particular. the man would do anything to keep his son's baby daddy status from the prying media.

his mother, in jimin's opinion, was a bigger hurdle. the woman revelled in the pride of their high class, which had actually been a contributing factor to his and jangmi's breakup. and then there was the fact that her plans to get him married to one of her upper class friends' daughters would no doubt be foiled. it would be difficult to convince any of those proud families to give their daughter away to a man who had a kid out of wedlock.

"beau!" the girl at the centre of the whole drama called out. his gaze fell on her, the sides of his mouth lifting in a crooked smile. it was a nickname she had given him recently. jimin liked it despite not being aware of the meaning. "yes, princess?"

she wrapped a paper napkin around a croissant and picked it up, stretching out her small arm to him. "eat it. it will send your sad face away." she chimed. jimin felt his chest go warm as his heart softened at the sweet gesture.

"thank you, sweetie." he took it from her and glanced at her mother to see that she was smiling softly. his daughter grinned wide at him, urging him to take a bite which he did. "hmm," he nodded with approval at her, causing another smile to split the child's face.

jimin turned to jangmi. "um, what does beau mean?" he inquired in a quiet voice. "a handsome and charming man." she answered, not looking at him. "ah..." he smiled a bit at that. so his daughter thought he was good looking.

he shot the small girl an eyesmile as he took another bite of the chocolate croissant she had given him animatedly. the girl giggled at his action, feeling at home in the amiable atmosphere.

☀☀☀

pain au chocolats are amazing! i could use one right now.