Ch. 21

*Jason*

I leaned my head against the door of the bedroom I was about to open. Just before I was cooking dinner, when Storm had asked if Nathan could stay. It wasn’t like he hadn’t been staying here the past several days with no hassle, until I told Lucas he’d be staying permanently. He was fuming from the statement. I couldn’t let him say no after what I had just told Storm that it’d be okay.

I kept my head on the cold door. God, I just blew, and other things that are best not to mention, to my husband for Storm to have her friend here. Who Am I kidding? I could tell they were together by the way they looked at each other. I couldn’t let them be split up after all the crap she’s been through in her life. She has to deal with the fact that this society is more screwed up than it was. They stopped teaching about straight society years ago, but the last year I was in middle school was the very last year they taught about it. Also, you could the whispers about how it was. Most said it was similar to the way we are now. We’d never know for certain if it was. Then, with her being a herm and a trans, she had enough on her plate.

I sighed as Lucas wrapped his arms around my waist. I really loved him. He blew up from what I said and I knew what calmed him down. I felt I had to do it. Was I wrong to do it?

Lucas kissed my neck. Feeling the tension in me, because I knew he could feel it, “Are you okay, babe?”

I breathed, “I’m sorry.”

He put his chin on my shoulder, “For what?”

I breathed out hot air, “This.” I paused to think, “What just happened?”

He kissed my neck again. I closed my eyes and grinned. He knew exactly what this did to me. “I’m not sorry for what we did. It’s flipping out that I’m sorry for.”

I turned round with my back against the door. He was looking down at the floor. I lift his head with my finger, “Babe, it’s okay.” I kissed him. There is no one else in the world I could love more, other than Storm.

With my mind on her, I broke away. “You remember the days leading up to when we got Storm?”

He grinned and laughed, which to be honest, sounded like an angel. It’s been almost 15 years, since I met him and I knew right then we’d still be together. I just knew by the way he said, you comin’ or what? The look in his eye said please don’t tell me no. I had smiled at him the way I did right now. That could never change. What needed to be changed was this stupid society. With people like Storm, my own sister, having to hide who she is just to survive.

“How could I forget?” Lucas answered my question. “That was the craziest time of all our lives, and I think it’s about to get even crazier before this school year is out.”

I nodded, “But, she seemed like the happiest kid I could have ever seen. How could we miss the fact that she was being bullied up until a week ago?”

He gave me a wan smile, “She didn’t want us to know.” Then, he grinned, “You guys are more alike than you realize.”

I looked at him confused, “How is that?”

He giggled, “One, that look. You both do it, and two. You keep things bottled up inside until you just about blow. Baby, I know you both. You guys are the strongest people I know. You won’t back down about anything until you win. The only difference is she’s bold in front of everyone, where you,” he grins slyly. “Keep it to the bedroom.”

I grinned now, “You know it’s better in the bedroom.”

He laughed, “Of course it is.” He kissed me hard, without warning. This is the way my life was. I couldn’t ask for a better one one with my family.