Ch. 6

I woke up later that morning scrunched up like a caterpillar and stretched out like a cat. I groaned as I pulled at the muscles in abdomen. Why did everyone have to hate me? I rolled over, so that I was sitting on the side of the bed. I was still in my robe from earlier this morning. I took it off, and held in my hand. I thought for a second, did I really have to keep this up? Jason and Lucas finally knew my problems, but would they go for me switching entirely?

I tossed the robe back in corner where it was. I got up and walked over to my dresser and opened the top drawer. Out of the corner of my eye, I spotted the box of black hair dye I had bought a year ago. I picked it up and a pair of my boxer shorts, which I didn’t have many of. I did have a weeks’ worth, though. I slip on a pair and a bra. Then, I picked up my Incubus shirt of the floor and slid that on. I stepped back into my pants next to me. What if...? I put the dye in my pocket.

I went to the bathroom to get a better look at my hair. I looked at myself in the mirror. I know I had nice hair, and this would serious mess it up. I loved my hair, could you really blame me?

I opened the cabinet and pulled out the scissors out. Bye, hair. I started with my bangs. I wanted to cry, because I really liked my hair. I got it as straight as possible. Then, I went at the rest of my hair. God, I really can’t believe I was doing this, but I needed to protect my own ass.

I continued to cut away at my hair. When I got it to look boyish, I stopped to look at my job. I still had abit in the back. I swore at my stupidity.

I jumped as I heard knocking at my door. Jason opened the open, and asked, “Are you o...” He looked at my hair. Then, he sighed, “Would you please tell us if you’re going to do anything crazier?”

I nodded, “Umm...” I paused, then picked up the scissors, and held them out to him. He takes them and softly grabbed my shoulder to turn me around. He fixed the back of my hair and turns me to the mirror.

“Good,” he asked, and I pull the dye out of my pocket. “You want help with that, too.” I nodded, again. I had a feeling I was going to get yelled at more for this later. He sighed, “Alright.” Then whispers, “Pain in my butt.” I grinned. He took the box, and whacked my head.

He put it on the counter and grabbed a pair of gloves out of the cabinet. I just stared at him. He looked at me, “Good thing I’m doing this.” He set them on the counter and picked up the box to open it. He took the small tube and and squeezed everything into the bottle. He might have been right on that.

He sets it down to put the gloves on. Then, he starts to shake the bottle. After a few minutes, he pours it on my head. It felt, so slimy. What the fuck was I thinking? I know I needed to protect myself, but would they go for what I was planning after what’s happened the last couple days. He put the gloves on and started working it. I really am stupid. If Jason wasn’t here, I would’ve messed this up.

“Now,” he pulled the gloves. “You have to let it set for about 45 minutes. Then, wash your hair, and your hair should be good.” He tossed the gloves in the trash, and I slumped down on the tub.

“I know I’m a screw-up,” I whispered.

He sat down next to me, “No. If I’m thinking right, you’re changing yourself to protect yourself, ‘cause you’ve never done this much crazy at once. Love, whatever you’re trying to do I’m for it. All I ask is you be careful, and don’t get caught.” Then, he wrapped his arms around me.

I pulled away. “Umm... I wanted to ask if I,” I paused not sure how to ask this. How do you ask your dad if it’s okay to become a guy? I took a deep breath, and said, “I need to switch schools.”

He looked right at me, “There’s only one other school...” He himself paused. ”We’re gunna need to talk to Lucas when he gets home.”

I sighed, “I thought so.” I leaned my head back and looked at the ceiling.

He interrupted my gazing by saying, “There’s still one thing you got to figure out if you want to transfer,” and points to my chest. Dammit, I forgot about those. He went under the sink counter and grabbed the first aid kit. I watched him take out some type of rolled-up cloth. “You could use this,” he said. “If you want?” I stood up and hugged him. He was the best. Hopefully, Lucas will be okay with this.

“I could wear the wife-beaters over it,” I was kinda whispering to myself.

He gave me a quizzical look, “Huh?”

I giggled, “It’s my white muscle shirts.”

“Oh,” he grinned. “You coulda just said that, but ya that might help more.”

I grinned back, “Ya I know, this why I love you guys.”

Sweetly he said, “That’s why we’re here for you.”

I run to my room without him saying any more. I get over to my dresser, pulled the drawer open, and ran back to the bathroom. He was still standing in the bathroom, confused but grinning, most likely because of my energy. I tossed the muscle shirt on the counter, and pulled my shirt and bra off.

“Ight, Mr. brain you seem to know everything.” Then I lift my arms up for him.

He laughs, “You really are a pain in my butt.” He then goes to wrapping me up. I made sure to pay attention to his placement, but I may need help again with it... about a hundred more times.

He tucked into the rest of it, and I grabbed my shirt to pull it on. He then said, “You're kinda cute for my son,” and laughed. “I’m playing, but you do look good, love.”

I grabbed my other shirt and pulled it, “Am I really? I was just goin’ for dude.”

He stopped to try to be serious, “You got that, and cute”

I raised an eyebrow, and closed the bathroom door to look in the mirror. I said, “Holy fuck.” He wasn’t kidding. I’d date me. I looked that good. “I really can’t believe I look that good.”

There was a knock on the bathroom door, I opened it to Lucas, and I didn’t even hear him come in.

“Storm is that you?” I wanted to close the door again.