07 | The Meeting

Shortly after the lunch bell rang, Mic safely guided Sachi to Principal Nezu's office from the horde of U.A. students rushing towards the school cafeteria. The two navigated through the winding hallways and corridor until the principal's office was in sight. Upon entering the office, Mic bid a short farewell before leaving Sachi for the afternoon break.

In Nezu's office, there was a wall of windows behind his large desk, two sofas in front of the bureau with a low table in the middle. An expensive china tea set was stationed on top of the table, accompanied by a few teabags, biscuits, and napkins on a tin tray.

A meeting with Principal Nezu himself, but Sachi didn't expect Recovery Girl to be there, who sat on the left sofa, sipping tea.

"Good afternoon, Miss Bakugou!" Principal Nezu piped up from his desk, his white fur glistening in the sunlight. He motioned a paw to the right sofa. "Please! Have a seat!"

Following politely, Sachi took her place opposite of Recovery Girl, setting her backpack down next to her. Nezu made his way around his broad desk and took a seat next to his colleague, pouring a cup of hot tea for Sachi and for himself.

"I'm sure you're ahead in your academics, Miss Bakugou?" Nezu began after dropping a teabag into his steaming cup. Sachi nodded.

"Yes, sir. From what I can tell, I'm far more ahead than any other middle school third year." Sachi dunked a tea bag into her own cup and left it to brew.

Recover Girl huffed. "Too far ahead, is what I would say. Young lady, you've spent most of your days in hospital beds with your nose buried in textbooks, notebooks, and novels! A bookworm with, mostly, self-taught education."

Principal Nezu chuckled. "Do you know how far you are? What subject of mathematics you're currently studying? Are you studying Chemistry or Physics?"

Sachi took a couple seconds before answering, "I'm currently learning the Fundamental Theorem in Calculus. I'm also currently studying Psychology, Biochemistry, and Medicine. I've studied Anatomy and scraped the surface of Physics, and–" she paused, recalling any other subjects she learned or is currently learning, "...that's about it."

Recovery Girl and Principal Nezu were silent for a few good minutes. The senior nurse broke the collective silence with a low hum. "You're more than a bookworm, my dear."

"More like a young genius!" Nezu declared, almost proudly. "It's logical to be that far ahead than everyone else due to the amount of free time you have!" Suddenly, his smile fell into a serious line. "And with all that time, have you been training with your quirk?" Sachi shook her head and Nezu nodded. "I thought so. Your brawl with the Octopus Villain two weeks ago has proven that flaw."

"'Flaw'?" Sachi questioned. Years ago, she was told to rarely ever use her quirk. Due to research, her quirk gives her major internal problems if overexerted, so she never really pushed herself to use her power. Except on special occasions.

"Yes, flaw. What we've seen on the news and what we've heard from Present Mic, you were firing off uncontrolled blasts, but with precise aim." Nezu took a sip of his tea, slurped the drink for a few moments, then continued. "A young girl your age would've endured more of those large blasts from any previous usage, but with your condition, it's unlikely you'll ever reach your full potential. Even so, the power that you have is remarkable, for your current state. And that same power has been recognized. Not only by multiple hero agencies but also, I assume, by villains."

Sachi's heart dropped.

Sachi's shoulders sagged as she realized her mistake, assumption or not. Ashamed of her actions, she awaited the criticism of both the principal and the school nurse of U.A.

"So, that is why I offer you a position in U.A.'s staff team as Recovery Girl's assistant!"

Sachi looked up, dumbfounded. "...huh?"

Recovery Girl smiled warmly at Sachi. "You've been with U.A. for a long time, Bakugou. You've been surrounded by multiple heroes and practitioners, so there's no doubt that you'll adjust quickly," the school nurse took a small sip of her tea, "but this is mostly due for your safety. There are other factors behind this offer but they will not be mentioned at the moment."

Sachi nodded in understanding. She picked up her teacup and took a small sip, calculating different outcomes the offer may lead to. If she accepts, will the other members of U.A.'s staff accept her? But if she declines, will she ever be given a chance like this again before–

Sachi snapped out of her thoughts when a small stack of papers slid toward her. There were a contract and a pen next to the papers.

"I don't expect you to answer right away," Nezu pointed out, "but I do wish to know your answer before the end of this week."

Sachi took the stack of papers and skimmed over the first few paragraphs. It was an informational packet for recruitment.

"We would also like to test your knowledge and accurately see where you stand in academics. We know of your quirk's current status, so we don't need to test you on that."

Sachi looked up at the principal, who was pouring himself another cup of tea. "So, before I can do anything, I'll have to take a series of exams before getting accepted?"

Principal Nezu nodded. "That is if you're willing to be up to the task as a school nurse."

Sachi took a few minutes to process and rethink. Her arms crossed and her chin tucked between her fingers, she mouthed her thinking while her eyes darted about the coffee table. She eyed the stack of papers on her lap and then the contract and pen. She squinted at the edges of the teacups and the other tea wares until finally coming upon a decision.

She took the pen into her hand and signed the contract.

"Eager to start, aren't we?" Recovery Girl commented, her mouth curled at Sachi's practiced signature.

Nezu clapped his paws and laughed aloud. "That settles it! I'll email your parents about the exam dates and we'll start afterward! Have you both a good day and good luck!"

Recovery Girl shook her head, placing her teacup onto the table and got up from her seat, hobbling over to the door. Nezu took the signed contract and walked briskly over to a filing cabinet. Sachi stood, backpack slung over her shoulders, and followed Recover Girl with the packet in her arms.

"Thank you for having me, Principal Nezu!" Sachi bowed. Her mind was racing with different thoughts and ideas of her new future. Nezu bowed back and watched the two leave his office without another word.

"He did whAT?!" Mic exclaimed. Sachi flinched at his voice and raised her hands to calm him.

"Hey, hey, hey! It's fine! Everything's fine!" Sachi reassured, "Sure, my brother gave me a bruise or two, but at least life went back to normal!"

"Hell naw! Everything's not fine!" Mic shouts, slamming his fists onto the desk. Sachi and Mic were chatting in the staffroom accompanied by other teachers. Currently, she was trying to calm Mic down after telling him what happened after she got home Monday night. It wasn't going too well.

"My little buddy's been hurt twice in one night! First by a gross-ass looking thing and then by her own brother!" Mic shouts again, not caring if his colleagues gave him weird looks. Mic stood abruptly from his chair with his fists clenched and teeth gritted. "I swear when I get my hands on that boy, I'll–"

"Shut up and sit down. You're being irrational and annoying," Aizawa groaned from behind Mic, his head cushioned by his arms. Sachi then coaxed her friend gently into sitting back down and she continued her conversation. Everything was fine.

Until the alarms went off.