Chapter 55: Forgive Me Father For I Have Sinned

My eyes remain glued to my mother's lifeless body solemnly, not a single tear betraying me. The heat in my blood continues rising, but the coldness radiating from my heart subsides it all as a weak fix. My mind fights back the abundance of emotions ramming against the built-up wall in my head to break it down and run free. No matter how much I want to let go and mourn the loss, I can't do it. Forgiving her lifted a huge burden off my chest, but her death is suffocating me on the inside now, and I don't know if I can ever let it all to the surface and shake off that feeling for good.

          After a good minute of just gawking at her, I elevate my gaze and finally notice the man standing at the entrance. His blue pearls stare at me in sorrow as he slowly walks to me. He kneels by my side and glances at the bodies on the ground. Confusion overtakes him as he notices Mandy's dead figure to the side, but not a single word leaves his saddened mouth. Instead, he turns his gaze back to me and sighs. My heart expands delightfully seeing him well and alive, disregarding the stains of blood on his shirt and jacket.

          Neither one of us utters a word. I fall into the trap his eyes lay out for me while he gets lost in mine. "Peaches," he whispers softly, pinning his forehead to my temple before he kisses my cheek, letting the warmth of it to linger for a while. "You okay?"

I exhale slowly without letting any emotion to arise on my face. "I'm good." I squeeze his hand tightly before removing it from my cheek.

He sighs at my usual aloofness and rises to his feet. "I'm going to give you your space and time. You need it."

          "No." Holding out my hand, I indicate him to help me up, and he does so
after a bit of reluctance. "Is Addy outside?"

          Eros shakes his head. "I didn't see her."

The beats of my heart pick up the pace slightly, forcing me to wonder about her whereabouts. Mama death's, without a doubt, is a big blow to her. Despite everything, I know how much she loved her and this can easily be the breaking point for her. As for Maxen, I can't help but wonder if he took her.

"Last I heard, Vince lost you," I remark mindlessly, picking up my knife and gun from the ground and securing them into the pockets of my jacket.

"Yeah, Janet tased me and held me hostage," he answers somberly, matching the drab in my tone.

"And Rome?"

"Took Cornelia to the hospital," he informs me and exits the secret room with me right behind him. This explains what D'Angelo's men meant by me saving his daughter. "How did they get you?"

A long breath of air huffs out of my mouth gloomily as the both of us climb up the stairs of the basement. "There's so much you don't know, Mr. Azallion. I'll tell you everything with a bottle of vodka when this fateful night is over."

          He hums and silently leads the way while I notice the strain in his shoulder and the discomfort it's putting him in. I can tell he hurt it, but I don't bother asking how. All questions are put aside for later 'cause right now I need to find my sister and the remaining men who have done me wrong.

Speaking of the devil, I hear Addy's painful wails that lure me and Eros right to her location. Black-suited men swarm and rush past us, and I instantly stiffen knowing who's here. Down a hall, I watch my little sister sobbing away in the arms of Mike who holds her tight and attempts to console her before his green eyes spot me.

He's supposed to be in Italy with Leo at this moment, not fighting this battle for me. Clearly, I was given the wrong information, and I know exactly what imbecile is behind this. Next time I see him, I'll be sewing his big mouth shut for good.