Chapter 51: The Betrayal

(Athena's POV)

Pulling the pin on another grenade, I fling the round explosive into the hall swarming with amateur assassins before jerking Arie behind a wall with me. The loud sound of the bomb going off shakes up the entire foundation of the old building itself as I hold my handgun once again.

"When I throw a bomb, it's best if you get aside instead of blindly going in unless you want to die. I'll gladly let you be my bloody guest then." I flash Arie a sarcastic smile and receive a perfect scowl in return right before I walk into the debris of cracked walls and dead men, some squirming on the floor in agony. "Allow me," I smile and put them out of their misery with a bullet in their heads.

          My assassins scatter away as Arie and Jackson stick to my side. We huddle through a large, filthy ballroom-like area where dozens of men swarm in like ants, some holding guns and others carrying baseball bats and knives.

          I immediately aim for the ones with guns, dropping each one like a fly whilst taking cover behind a round broken table. Arie runs around firing off her desired weapon as Jackson tackles a few of them in a hand-to-hand combat. After reloading my own gun, I saunter out, curling my index finger on the trigger and squeezing it to fire off bullets at the ones heading straight for me before my ammo runs out again.

"Great!" Without any time at hand to shove in another magazine, I decide to throw the gun at one of the men heading right for me. He crumbles to the ground, but his colleagues don't falter in their quest to end me, and I brace their arrival with a menacing smile.

The first one swings his dagger at me, but before it can slash my flesh, I clutch his attacking wrist and direct the pointy blade toward the second man who comes for me, jabbing the long knife into his stomach. Holding tightly onto the first man's hand, I drag the weapon up the second one's chest before redirecting it to stab the blade back into the first man's neck.

          "Ugh!" I grimace as the man's blood splatters on my face. "Disgusting."

          Before I can wipe my face, more assassins decide to ambush me. Bending over, I quickly remove the dagger from the man's neck and fling it at another which embeds itself in his eye. Retrieving the tactical knives from my ankles, I lunge forward and stab both in a woman's stomach before moving onto another female who decides to throw a knife at me that I escape by a mere inch.

"Close," I remark as she growls and aims to take me down by landing a punch right on my face. A sudden metallic taste dances on my tongue as I suck on my bleeding lip and glare at the girl's smiling face. "Never go for my face."

Thrusting my body forward, I tackle the girl to the wet floor and begin ramming my fist to her face as she tries to shake me off her body and block my assailing punches with her arms. As I reach for my knives that are stuck in the other dead woman, two men grab my arms and jerk me off the assassin. They snatch the blades from my grip and drop it for the female assassin to pick up. She spits out blood, snarling like a dog and walking toward me.

"This isn't going to work out well in your favor, boys," I warn the men strangling my arms as the girl comes to stab me before I kick her face and knock her out to the ground. With all the strength in me, I manage to slam the two men together, then kneeing one's groin with force. Using his bent body as a boost, I jump off his back and climb on top of the other man's shoulder, shoving my thumbs into his eyeballs as he lets out a painful screech before throwing me off.

He sinks to the floor, permitting me to get behind him and snap his neck with a simple twist, a move that I can never get enough of. But then a bullet to my back crumbles me to the floor with a wince followed by another bullet to my waist which forces a whimper out of me. Two men creep in my direction with their guns aiming right for my head. I feign agony and act like an injured wolf as my hand slowly inches to my waist discreetly when one of them gets shot by someone else.