100

C H A P T E R  100
(Dang, already 100 in and we still have so much more to the story! Enjoy! )

Nobody wanted the Yule Ball to end because that meant that that new semester was set to start in one week. New Years would pass and then it was back at it. That also meant that the Second Task was drawing nearer and nearer and that brought a sickening feeling to Samantha who has not even come close to figuring out the egg.

She sat in the library by herself the next day after the Yule Ball with the egg and the mirror. Luckily she had been proactive to finish her homework assignments the previous week so she didn't have to panic like 99% of Hogwarts.

She sat staring at the egg, pondering what the God awful screaming could mean. A few times she cast a silencing charm right around the table and opened the egg to fully listen to it but that was a loss. The screaming could not be deciphered so she was back at square one.

She sent a message to Sirius, Remus, and Tonks through the mirror and all three of them didn't have any luck. Remus said he would make it a point to think long and hard and would hopefully have a lead some time that day. He was also working on the Horcrux hunting and was helping Dumbledore develop new leads.

"What's a Pensieve?" Samantha asked when Remus mentioned that Dumbledore let him borrow it so he could review some of his old encounters with Tom Riddle.

"It's something wizards use to review past memories. So someone like Dumbledore who has memories of many many things will want to preserve as many as he can. The human brain is only so large so it can only hold a set number of memories vividly. He'll take out the main details of the memory and preserve it in a vial. One will still have basic memory of what happened but it frees up brain storage for new memories. Now one is able to look back it in the Pensieve. He let me borrow it to review his past memories of Voldemort when he went to school here. I'm trying to see if I can find any leads for else he could have used," Remus explained. "I'm trying to make a list of what we know so far and what I can find through these memories."

"Interesting," Samantha muttered. "That's so useful."

"Yeah it definitely comes in handy in times like these when you're trying to put together a giant puzzle piece or see if you can pick out any small details."

"Right, well when you get your list, let me know," she replied. "Maybe I can help."

"You got it," Remus said. "I'm going to get some lunch and keep thinking about the egg. Keep the mirror handy in case I think of something. That screaming has to mean something or else it wouldn't be the clue."

"Sounds good, thank you, Remus. You're the best."

Remus laughed. "I know and I'll be sure to tell Sirius you said that."

Samantha smirked and Remus disappeared from view. Just then someone walked into the library and it was Cedric. He noticed Samantha and neared her.

"Good morning," he spoke and sat down opposite her.

"Hi Cedric."

"How are things?"

Samantha sighed. "They're ok. Time to get back into the swing of things. As much I enjoyed break, I was getting a little restless."