46

C H A P T E R 46

"All students will return to their House Common Rooms by six o'clock every evening. No student will be allowed to leave after that time. You will be escorted to each lesson by a teacher. All further Quidditch matches and practices have been cancelled. There will be no more evening activities," McGonagall told the Gryffindors in a shaky voice. "I've never seen the school in such distress. The school may close if the culprit is not caught. I urge anyone with information to come forward,"

They were all quiet. One could hear a pin drop hit their carpet. If the fire was on, one could hear the faint crackling. It seems some of the older students wanted to start it to try and soothe everyone else. They themselves knew that almost everyone had spent either a few minutes or even hours staring into it for clarification or even just comfort.

Two out of three had been their house and they couldn't believe it. When was it going to end? Three Gryffindors and their house ghost were attacked and the insightful students ventured a guess that it was indeed a Slytherin. They had the biggest rivalry and even though it was the Heir of Slytherin, this had gave them confirmation.

The Gryffindor Quidditch team, Ron, and Lee couldn't get the image of seeing Samantha and Hermione frozen out of their minds. How stiffly they looked. How shocked and scared they looked.

Owning up to her house, Samantha has always tried to stay brave but Harry knew she probably was frightened like everyone else had been. She was someone who never wore what she felt like negative emotions on her sleeve but now, everyone could see what she was feeling and Harry felt like she did not want that to happen.

For once, Fred and George didn't have anything to lighten the mood. Their insides felt like they had been petrified themselves. The lumps in their throats made it very hard to breathe and swallow. They shouldn't have let her go to the library. But they let her go, trusting that why she went wouldn't be as important as the Quidditch match.

Percy had been quiet as well and didn't think to make himself known as a higher authority. His fellow prefect among other titles had been attacked.

With the growing number of students being attacked, this had turned into a very serious situation and no one could blame McGonagall for sounding shaky or announcing that the school could close.

Harry had felt like this was a double blow. His sister and his best friend. Even though he was quiet during the announcement by McGonagall, his mind was racing with thoughts and questions. This situation had reached another level and a part of him felt like he had to become involved.

Only him and Samantha could hear the voice that always was around when there was an attack and now with Samantha petrified, he was on his own.

Thinking back to breakfast this morning, it dawned on Harry that Samantha and Hermione seemed to come to a realization about the Chamber and it was only fitting that they had to be attacked.

His first thoughts were to go to the library to see if he could pick up on what they were looking for in there but Harry didn't know where to start. He had no clues except for the memory about Hagrid but even so, Harry still didn't believe Hagrid did it.

He glanced at Ron and made a note to talk to him about talking to Hagrid later. All signs seemed to point to him and maybe he knew something even if Harry didn't fully believe that he was the culprit.