Viktor nodded. "Yeah he does seem a bit strange."

"But it's more than that," she spoke. "It's not just that he's strange, I can sense something more, like he has some other kind of motive."

"Motive? What other motive would he have than to help us defend against the dark arts?" Viktor asked. "I thought that was why your headmaster gave him the role as teacher."

"But even so."

"Stop being paranoid."

Samantha rolled her eyes. "I'm not paranoid, I'm just taking precautions. I'd rather there be nothing wrong after checking than regretting later that I didn't do something. If at the end of this, there's nothing more to him than just a troubled Auror past, then I will admit I was wrong."

Viktor agreed. They went back their Potions work when the door to the library opened. Marcus walked in sporting a wide grin and sat down at their table. "Good evening."

Samantha smiled at him while Viktor spoke up. "Hello Marcus. Did you hear Samantha doesn't have a date to the Yule Ball? With it being only three days away, it's getting harder to find a date. How tragic."

Marcus furrowed his eyebrows. "What are you talking about? Of course she's going with me. Why wouldn't she?" he asked as he glanced at her.

"Well you technically haven't asked her yet so she's currently going alone."

Marcus sighed and then turned to Samantha. "Would you like to go to Yule Ball with me?"

Samantha smirked at his annoyed expression from Viktor's words. "Hmm I don't know." Anything Samantha could do to make Marcus more annoyed was always a plus in her book.

"Please?" he pressed, putting out his bottom lip, and widening his eyes. "I can first and foremost promise you'll have the night of your life."

"Night of my life, eh?"

Viktor pretended to gag. "I don't even want to know where this conversation is heading. Excuse me, I am going to finish my work in peace on the ship."

And with that, he quickly packed up his things and started for the door. "Make sure to ask her soon, Viktor!" Samantha called. "Wouldn't want to be too late!"

Viktor waved his hand in dismissal and left the library, ignoring the glares from Madam Pince who scolded Samantha for yelling.

"Thank goodness the third wheel is gone," Marcus spoke as he slid his chair closer to Samantha and leaned in, kissing her gently. "So is that a yes?" he asked after pulling away and putting a stray piece of hair behind her ear.

"You tell me," she responded and then closed the gap between them.

• • • • •

The highly anticipated Yule Ball was finally here and it sent Hogwarts into a frenzy. There was a beautiful blanket of snow covering the castle and everyone was excited to have fun later that evening.

"I really don't understand why we need so long to get ready," Samantha groaned as Alicia, Angelina, and Katie dragged her up to their dorm with three hours until the ball was supposed to start.