Back in Time || Simon Minter

Requested by: @NiamhAvery

Y/N rolled over in bed to check the alarm clock. The glowing red numbers read clearly in the dark: 3:42AM. 3:42, she thought in frustration. How the hell am I gonna get up in 4 hours?

She shuffled back onto her other side, wrapping the covers around her as she turned, until she was facing her husband again. Even in the black of night his blonde hair was visible, a shock against the navy pillow. Simon. One of the many reasons I'm getting up at 8:30 in the morning.

Tomorrow was Vidcon and it would be the fifth time she'd attended, the first being the first day of the best part of her life. Y/N gazed at Simon's peaceful face while her brain threw her back in time.

*five years earlier*

Y/N walked carefully up the stairs to the stage, trying her hardest not to do anything that would embarrass her later on. There were plenty of people here that she knew, as well as others she'd heard of but never met, including the large group of boys, due on stage after her, called the 'Sidemen'.

"Y/N! Welcome to Vidcon!" The dark-haired host handed her a microphone.

Tucking her hair behind her ear before taking it, Y/N beamed. "Hello! Thank you so much for having me!"

"Thanks for coming! Am I right in saying this is your first time attending?"

Y/N laughed. "Yes, it is. I almost didn't make it to the stage actually, I'm having a hard time finding my way around!"

The host laughed loudly to encourage the audience to laugh, and Y/N felt a blush forming on her cheeks. She wasn't sure how to present herself when the crowd that was usually hidden behind a screen was directly in front of her instead.

"Well today we just have a few things lined up for you. First of all, you have a performance for us?"

Y/N nodded. "Yeah I do, today I'm going to be singing 'Milk and Cookies' by Melanie Martinez!"

"By all means, take the stage!"

Y/N tried to smile but she knew it came out more like a grimace. In all honesty, the host's fake grin and forced laughter was starting to get on her nerves.

She took two steps into the centre of the stage, where there was a microphone stand, and fastened her mic into the holder. When the music began through the speakers, she felt her nerves fade away. Take a deep breath. This is what you do.

Out of everything she did on her channel, a lot of football, some gaming every now and then, a little bit of rapping, singing was her favourite. Since she was a child she had been singing, and the feeling of the music thrumming through her body was her ultimate thrill.

By the time she had finished the song, Y/N was relaxed. Her face had flushed with colour and she felt effortlessly happy. When she turned to face the direction the host was gesturing, his words not registering to her yet, she turned with an expression of exhilaration.

And found herself almost face to face with one of the boys that had been waiting behind her.

"So your next challenge, Y/N - come up here, Simon, to my left - appeals to another area of your channel." The boy, Simon, brushed past Y/N's arm slightly and she felt goosebumps rise where he touched. Her hand flew up automatically to where he'd been, trying to cover her reaction.

The host was continuing now, aware of the time limit. "This challenge is something I like to call: 'Don't Let it Touch'." He laughed obnoxiously. "Like the old classic balloon game, except you're going to be using something a little more sophisticated." He produced two small soccer balls from a table at the back of the stage, lobbing one to each of them. Y/N caught it reflexively and a grin spread across her face as she tossed it between her hands.