Intertwined: Chapter 16-2. Voices

Intertwined: Chapter 16-2.  Voices

 "Looks like you've been officially replaced Drew," Jesse punched Nicholas' arm following behind the group going back towards the locker rooms. 

Nicholas smiled and looked over his shoulder back at the dark haired, blue-eyed boy behind him.

I looked back at him continuing to pant and managed to smile stretching my arms and legs. I was feeling good. I pulled my jumper over my head feeling it stick to my chest; I held it in my left hand and wiped my forehead of sweat droplets. I saw Jesse look back towards the two of us as he was ahead, I was sure he was questioning his eyesight just as he walked into the doors of the gym. I laughed watching him take a few steps back and then forward to open the door. But like most, he tried to pull a door, which was to be pushed. He got the idea after a few moments of pulling the door, considering Coach pulled the other door open from the inside. Jesse then shamefully greeted Coach walking inside.

I caught up with Nicholas and punched his arm; he laughed and rubbed his arm, "Why is everyone punching me today?" 

"It's to get your attention." I shrugged.

"Geez - I'm already bruised, I don't need any more attention." He brought his hand to rub his neck.

"Right, I'm sorry." I looked down at my muddied trainers and scuffed them across the concrete ground, leaving trails of mud and grass.

"You free tonight?" Nicholas suddenly asked.

"No."

He frowned at my sudden answer.

"I'm - I'm going to the Historic Docks tonight." I explained. Wherever exactly I was supposed to go.

"Fair enough." He nodded, opening the door allowing me to slip into the gym.

It did not take that long for me to follow the normal protocol and head to the showers, shedding my clothes as I went but managed to sweep them towards my locker. I shrugged; I knew which garments were mine. I kicked my trainers off in that direction managing to miss a few of the guys stood around, then pulled off my socks one-by-one, where I hopped around trying to balance myself. I laughed finally freeing my left foot of the sock. I paused feeling my back hit someone I looked back and took a quick step forward.  I could only smile, wince and run. I quickly headed off to the showers picking up one of the clean towels from the side. I walked across the tiled floor in search of an unoccupied cubicle. I settled into the cubicle at the end flinging my towel over the side, turning the dial to the right I waited, allowing the water to run before steam raised towards the ceiling. Then walked in the line sight of the shower-head allowing the warm water to wash over me. I exhaled keeping my arms by my sides, the traces of mud blackening the water swirling into the drain as I ran my hands through my dark hair. Content. I covered my ears from the constant ringing of the bell, this time it was not a bell signalling class but fire; too late I was now partially deaf. I groaned bending over pressing my hands harder into the sides of my head. My eyes clenched shut. Coach’s loud booming voice muffled on instructing us on what to do. Were these drills supposed to be calm not chaotic? I could hear the wet footsteps of fellow teammates. I grabbed my towel opening my eyes and wrapped it around my waist trying to follow the others. I waddled after them following them but looked towards my clothes.

“Larsson! Come on!” Coach’s voice echoed alongside the ringing.

“But – my – clothes?” I spoke walking towards them gesturing with my right hand, the other holding the towel.

“Princess.” Coach warned.

“But Coach…” I whined continuing to shuffle towards the pile of clothes and managed to get into my trainers.