Intertwined: Chapter 15. Guilty Pleasures

Intertwined: Chapter 15. Guilty Pleasures

I brought my arms around her waist as she washed the dishes, she looked back at me and gave me a heart-warming smile, I returned the smile towards my mum, gee - when was the last time I had seen her so happy? Or even smile like that? You've been a shit son that's why. I laid my head on top of her head and pressed my lips against her soft brown hair. I'm sorry mum. I stayed there with my arms around her following her each and every move since she was washing dishes.

"Mitchell, are you feeling ill? Are your ribs aching again?" She suddenly asked, the yellow rubber gloves on her hands covered in bubbles.

I shook my head but paused seeing her brown eyes narrow towards me. It's weird how a small gesture like a hug could lead to the conclusion that I was in pain.

"Okay, they ache just a little mum.. but don't worry about me.." I spoke taking my hands away from her waist.

That was definitely a lie.

"I'm your mother I'm supposed to worry, it's my job." She shook her head walking off probably to go in search for an ice pack

My ribs didn't ache any longer they hadn't ached ever since I had been attacked for the second time.

* * *

FLASHBACK [Reference to chapter 9.]

I continued to walk behind the three of them. Trekking was obviously not my thing despite being able to keep up with them, thanks to rugby training no doubt. I paused seeing them climb up the steep hill without ease, I grimaced knowing the short and sharp breaths were going to do nothing, but make me breathless and possibly lead to me fainting. I looked left to right to see that it was merely a bank and I would have to climb, I took a slow deep breath and forced my legs to carry me. Oh shit. I paused half-way up the bank feeling something crack inside of me, my breaths were now sharp and filled my lungs with fire, it was definitely my lungs - Shit - I brought my hands to my sides. Maybe going out for a walk was a bad idea.

"Hey, Mitchell. Need some help?" Ollie had his hand out towards me.

I shook my head. "I'm good."

I staggered forward and ended up taking his hand, like the stubborn kid I am, I tried to brush off having to have him help me up a damn bank. I smiled following behind Ollie seeing as Rafael and Jesse were all ready ahead of us. Layla was not around catching up to us, she was nowhere to be seen, maybe she was still asleep in the cabin. I sighed, seeing the three them had paused once more. All I knew was that I was still tired and mentally confused. My lips still burned from Nicholas's harsh kiss and my chest ached seeing him handle Layla that way.

Had I been like that with Cassidy?

Was that the reason she had left me?

Was it my fault we are both scarred?

"Mitchell, hello?" Rafael repeated chucking a small pebble at my forehead.

I brought my hand up to my forehead, "Oww.."

"What's up?" Jesse asked.

I paused trying to think of an excuse, the three of them continued waiting, I continued to rub my head finally having come up with a valid reason.

"You guys walk too fast."

They laughed not slowing down.

"You're too slow that's why." Rafael commented continuing to walk ahead.

Jesse being dragged alongside her, I was no longer the one at the back since Ollie now walked a feet behind me. I looked back towards the huge guy and thanked him giving him a slight nod. I could see why Layla was his, he was.. just by the looks of it stronger and faster than me. Not classically good looking but I could see that his strong, determination was attractive. What am I saying? I quickly looked away knowing I was prolonging the gaze a little too long. I chuckled slightly and quickly caught up to Rafael and Jesse. It was a quick afternoon seeing the sky darken.