Chapter Nine

"When the day comes, where I die. I will not be sad, but relieved that it has finally come."

Arms wrapped around me and carried me to a car, the man helped me into the passenger seat, buckling me in before closing the door.

He slid in behind the wheel and pulled onto the main road. I rested my head against the seat and looked over at him, my eyes narrowing slightly.

"Callum?" I questioned, taking him in.

His sandy brown hair messy, his eyes narrowed on me, "What the hell happened to you, Hayley?!" He snapped, looking back at the road ahead, speeding up slightly.

I rolled my eyes at him, "Work gets messy sometimes." I replied dryly closing my eyes for a few moments.

He parks the car and kills the engine. He pulls open my door and wraps his arms back around me, he carries me inside and when Mack sees me she squeaks out, confusion dancing around in her wide eyes. It was slightly comical.

"Lie her on the island." She says, rushing into the kitchen, she moves everything off of the island and Callum lies me down, sighing out.

I close my eyes, chewing my bottom lip in hopes of forgetting about all the pain - no such luck.

"What happened?" Mack asks, pulling my shirt up and above my head, revealing my two bullet wounds.

One in my shoulder and the other in my stomach. Callum pulls back, shaking his head while mumbling under his breath.

Mack grabs a wet cloth and wipes away the blood, a first aid kit lying open next to me.

I closed my eyes, letting Mack do what she needed to, so many things racing through my mind at the moment.

"Clive called me, I seen him." I whispered out and I felt Mack pause, her breathing now heavy and when I opened my eyes, Callum was pacing back and forth, dragging his hands through his hair.

Mack starts stitching me up, being gentle, "How?' She whispers out, so much emotion in her voice.

I sighed out, "He found me, and he had men with him when they started shooting at me." I admit, leaving out only a few details.

I didn't need them to know I was chasing another bad guy, causing me to be out in the open.

"How'd you survive?" She questions, moving up to my shoulder. She starts stitching me up when Callum bandages my stomach.

I chewed the inside of my cheek, I couldn't exactly tell her the bad guy I was chasing helped me get away from the bad guy who killed my family, she'd think I went insane.

"Luck I guess, I'm not going to die by the hands of Aaron Clyde." I replied, my blood running cold just from saying his name.

He was a monster, someone who needed to be taken off the streets, he needed to be put down.

She bandages my shoulder up and throws one of her shirts at me, "Should you maybe inform the police?" She drawls out, raising her eyebrow at me.

I shook my head, sitting up slowly, pulling the shirt on over my head. I fix my hair and glanced over at her, "That would only get me put off on stress leave, which isn't what I need right now." I answered, slipping off of the island.

I walk towards her fridge and pull it open, grabbing a water bottle and chugging half of it down, "I just need to go home and lie down." I added on softly.